• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for suggestion for cheap upgrade to get 144hz monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I'm looking to upgrade my rig to a mobo/processor that can do 144hz. Right now my sandybridge can't go higher than 60. I also would prefer to spend less than 300-400$. I plan on using my case, drives, power supply (I have a new one already, same one as in my sig). I just need to get a 144hz monitor, mobo for 144hz and processor and maybe ram if the mobo needs different than what I got.

Any suggestions? My goal is to play CSGO at around 144 fps.

Your CPU has nothing to do with the refresh rate you can get on screen. That's going to be your GPU.

Pick up a decent modern GPU with DP out and pick up a 144Hz monitor and you're off to the races.

Your CPU has nothing to do with the refresh rate you can get on screen. That's going to be your GPU.

Pick up a decent modern GPU with DP out and pick up a 144Hz monitor and you're off to the races.

I recall reading on my mobo documentation that my mobo only supports 60mhz monitors.

I bought a 144hz monitor about 6 months ago. I put it onto my current set up and it worked for 5 minutes then my computer shut off. This happened over and over. I read my mobo documentation and it read that it can't use monitors over 60hz. Now maybe I'm wrong and I need a different gpu but its my understanding that the mobo is more central to the whole computer and that a different gpu won't change things. Is this idea wrong?

Last edited:
Nobody needs to prove anything. You're wrong. 60Hz is the max for your integrated video, not your GPU. I've never heard anyone else (wrongly) interpret this information the way you have.

a 7870 and i5 2500k will do 1080p 144 fps on CSGO effortlessly.

There are a few things to consider here

1) you must have a dual link DVI cable. Not simply a "DVI-D" cable, it MUST be a DUAL LINK DVI-D cable. No dvi-A, no dvi-i. Dual link dvi-D.
2) unless you are running integrated graphics, the motherboard has absolutely nothing to do with output frequency, as that is dictated by the monitor and graphics card. A 7870 is plenty for 144hz. I tested a gpu I gave away (r9 280x) and on csgo, 144fps was well within the threshold at max settings.
3) that said, make sure you're plugged into the GPU??
4) Your story about buying the 144hz and it not working doesn't make any sense. Refresh rate is determined by WINDOWS (your operating system), and it ALWAYS defaults to 60 until you change it, or it is even lower. I might be incorrect, but every high refresh monitor I've ever plugged in has always defaulted to 60hz until you change it.
Theres no reason the computer would restart either. At worst you would get an "out put out of range" error, and the screen would go black; not shut off.

I have a friend that has almost the exact same build as you, same motherboard, and runs a benq XL2420G with no issues.

I have the Asus VG248QE. Pc gets the dvi and tv gets the hdmi. Once you install the drivers, just turn off the tv, plug the hdmi in, and then switch to it using the Screen Resolution menu and your tv's input menu. I spent I think $250 on it. If I need more than 24" I can simple switch over to the 49" tv. All my monitors are 1920x1080 so there are no hiccups whatsoever. PC to TV works best in extended mode btw.

a 7870 and i5 2500k will do 1080p 144 fps on CSGO effortlessly.

There are a few things to consider here

1) you must have a dual link DVI cable. Not simply a "DVI-D" cable, it MUST be a DUAL LINK DVI-D cable. No dvi-A, no dvi-i. Dual link dvi-D.
2) unless you are running integrated graphics, the motherboard has absolutely nothing to do with output frequency, as that is dictated by the monitor and graphics card. A 7870 is plenty for 144hz. I tested a gpu I gave away (r9 280x) and on csgo, 144fps was well within the threshold at max settings.
3) that said, make sure you're plugged into the GPU??
4) Your story about buying the 144hz and it not working doesn't make any sense. Refresh rate is determined by WINDOWS (your operating system), and it ALWAYS defaults to 60 until you change it, or it is even lower. I might be incorrect, but every high refresh monitor I've ever plugged in has always defaulted to 60hz until you change it.
Theres no reason the computer would restart either. At worst you would get an "out put out of range" error, and the screen would go black; not shut off.

I have a friend that has almost the exact same build as you, same motherboard, and runs a benq XL2420G with no issues.
Out of thanks... +1.. well said!

Back