• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for tips on RAMSINK removal/cleaning/SEKISUI thermal-tape reattachment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

semicodin

Hey all, first post (sort of, Welcome Mat post vanished). Anyway, I wanted to open a discussion on RAMSINK maintenance generally, and SEKISUI thermal tape specifically.

I'm building a new AMD A8-3850 APU computer with an ASROCK A75 EXTREME6 motherboard and some very sweet looking Corsair Vengeance DDDR3 sticks that install . . . completely backwards in my Antec 200 chassis. :eh?: Now I'll fully admit to a degree of vanity viz my computer builds, and I want to be able to see the word "VENGEANCE" facing me every time I open the chassis. I have four of these 2GB Corsairs, but of course the only stick that needed surgery was the one facing me (the other three being effectively hidden), so I removed just one of the Vengeance heatsinks to reverse its label.

Okay, now the one thing Corsair does not want you to do is to begin experimenting with the removal of the product's vanity feature, that sweet heat sink. (By the way, this does void your warranty. Yeah. Next! :D) and to make sure you appreciate just how irritated with the consumer they'll be if you dare to attempt to remove the RAMSINK and use it with, ahem, a different brand of RAM, Corsair cleverly machines the aluminum in such a way that you will break off the tabs on each side of the sink should you attempt to reclose them (the hinge, ditto). I've attended and graduated from SEKISUI University and will to EBay for the procurement of thermal adhesive strips, so with that brief introduction to the careful voiding of a Corsair Warranty let us begin . . .

I have a detached Vegeance sink with no tabs and white strips of (some adhesive-like thermal tape) that used to attach the sink to the RAM stick. Bits of it clung to the stick; the bulk of it is on the sink itself, conspicuously in a perfect rectangular shape (and thus, tape). I'll need to remove this white stuff on both the stick and the sink and (as to the sink), make its final cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol.

1. How do I safely clean the bits from the stick itself?
2. Would it be advantageous for me to attach two strips of SEKISUI on each side to give this famously-thin tape more thickness?
3. Can you provide any tips to applying the tape, since I gather it can be tricky?
4. I appreciate any thoughts generally about this thermal-tape brand versus others (3M, Maxell etc.).

Thanks!

semicodin

Back