• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a $2.5k rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samywamy10

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm planning on building my first computer (wow I bet you get that a lot) within the next month or two, and so I've been researching components. I would consider myself quite tech savvy (RAM and hard drive upgrades FTW), however I've never undertaken something as large as putting a computer together, hence why I'm asking here. I'm simply wondering if all these components are compatible; if there are any suggestions you have, feel free to add them :). I've added comments on why I've selected each component. BTW I'm in Australia, so I can't just go to Newegg to buy this :(. I've got about AU$2500 to spend.

I currently do lots of video editing/rendering and some audio work. I also do PHP coding (what an intensive task...) and am looking at getting into application development. Also occasionally run Mac OS X in a VM. I'd like to play games (not necessarily at their highest settings) however my mobile GPU doesn't really allow for this. I'm also going to be running dual 1080p monitors.

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced NVIDIA edition
-Looks pretty awesome, smaller than a Haf X. Would keep my components cool (although I have no idea on how hot these will get).

Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
-It was the most popular on the website I was looking at, and is LGA 1155. It has enough PCI slots for my needs. Other than that I don't really have a reason for this, so any cheaper motherboards would be good :).

Intel Core i7 2600k
-Video rendering and editing. I got the overclockable model because I heard that there was no point in getting this processor without overclocking it...:).

CPU Cooler
-Not sure what model or brand or anything....any tips?

16gb 1600mhz RAM
-Virtual Machine mostly. I probably don't need this much RAM, I currently use 4GB and seem to have about 15mb free, however I am really restricted when I use the VM. I'm also clueless as to the MHZ....higher=faster?

Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
-Once again, just a choice based on popularity. It has some good reviews/benchmark reviews...heh.

OCZ Vertex 3 120gb
-I currently use an 80gb SSD for my laptop and it is great, although it is too small. I'm looking to use SATA III, and I need the additional space.

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Sata III x2
-Planning to use one as an excact clone of the other. Just using this for many downloads (TV shows, movies, music etc.). I'm also considering I could run this in RAID 0, but it would be such a nightmare if one of the drives failed (which I admit has never happened to me, but I've read horror stories)

Generic Bluray Reader & DVD Writer
-Not sure what model or brand or anything....I just want it to work (which will be more than my current optical drive), and read blurays.

750W Power Supply
-Not sure how many watts I'd need for this rig.

I look forward to your educated opinion!

Did this sound competent enough?

Last edited:
But why would I want to use integrated graphics when I have this graphics card? Can I use both in conjunction for "super" graphics?

Last edited:
Oops, I went $1 over. :chair:

You can put the Blacks in R1, then use the 60GB Agility 3 as cache for an insanely fast 4TB volume of storage.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 124
But why would I want to use integrated graphics when I have this graphics card? Can I use both in conjunction for super graphics?

It's not super graphics, you can task different things to them. 1 transcode on CPU one transcode on GPU 1 transcode on iGPU, for example, or use integrated for desktop and your card for gaming to save power.

You can put the Blacks in R1, then use the 60GB Agility 3 as cache for an insanely fast 4TB volume of storage.

^
Not sure if SSD caching will cache a RAID array or not. Also, SSD caching is meant to be used with a smaller, slower SSD. It doesn't have to be a 500MB transfer SSD. At that point you're sort of wasting money.
It'd be better to use that size drive as a boot and main programs drive then cache with a slower, cheaper drive in the 20-40 range IMO.

I was using PC Case Gear. Went for the cheapest SSD's, it was a Vertex 2 60GB for $129 and the Agility 3 for $139. He could get the iSSD motherboard from Gigabyte, but he'd only be getting a Z68XP-UD3 as his motherboard.

I was using PC Case Gear. Went for the cheapest SSD's, it was a Vertex 2 60GB for $129 and the Agility 3 for $139. He could get the iSSD motherboard from Gigabyte, but he'd only be getting a Z68XP-UD3 as his motherboard.

There's nothing wrong with that board, mind you. It's a bit short on the power phasing and there's no PCIE lane augmentation but for what you get it's a good deal IMO. I wouldn't run 4.8+ on it for any length of time with the power delivery it has, personally, although I'm sure it could take it.

IGPU support is borked on that mobo. P8Z68V-Pro by Asus would be a better choice.

Yeah I'm happy to go with this motherboard instead. It's cheaper too :).

I don't think I can get this...it's too expensive. I mean if it was $2500....:p.

Would it be beneficial to get a SATA III SSD for caching, or would I be fine to go with say a Vertex 2. Also, any choice behind that graphics card? I really have to clue as to what I should choose.

You'd be fine with the Vertex 2, even that is complete overkill. Your best bet is to find a really cheap 20-40GB SSD from another place, old gen that's slow. That's what you're supposed to use with IRST.

Or you could drop the Agility 3 and get the GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD for the motherboard. I personally wouldn't run past 4.8 with a Hyper212+ anyway, but I'm more conserved on my temps then most. i.e. I wouldn't run my 920 past 70, while most put 80 as the limit.

You'd be fine with the Vertex 2, even that is complete overkill. Your best bet is to find a really cheap 20-40GB SSD from another place, old gen that's slow. That's what you're supposed to use with IRST.

Or you could drop the Agility 3 and get the GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD for the motherboard. I personally wouldn't run past 4.8 with a Hyper212+ anyway, but I'm more conserved on my temps then most. i.e. I wouldn't run my 920 past 70, while most put 80 as the limit.

I'm currently looking at the P8Z68-V PRO which has smart response technology...why is the motherboard you mentioned only $30 more expensive, when it has a 20gb SSD included? Is the GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD missing something else? What's it's IGPU support like? Also, with smart response, is it worth getting an SSD for the boot/applications?

My current processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz mobile processor. I don't think I'm going to have an issue with not being able to overclock it past 4.8ghz :p.

BTW what website are you using?

It's a lower end motherboard. Not missing anything except a different power phase system (system that transports power from the PSU to the CPU). Look for the same motherboard without the iSSD at the end, that's the actual motherboard part.

eRetailer is http://www.pccasegear.com. It's where I usually make builds for Aussie posters. :thup:

A SATAIII SSD will be noticeably faster then a fast HDD and a meh SSD with IRST, or so I would think. It only puts what you use most on the SSD.

Wow! I never knew this website existed...good to know :). I've configured a build for $2,181, however I'll be getting an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and a Black Magic Instensity, so that should boost the price up by $280-300...yay :shock:.

Here's the attached build. I'm still unsure as to if this graphics card and the power supply are inadequate or overkill. Also wondering if it's worth it to have an SSD and the 20gb cache drive.

I'm also interested in RAID 1, however if this can't be done with Intel Smart Response I could just clone the drive with a software solution.

Attachments

• wishlsit.png
    wishlsit.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 107
Why the change in optical drive?

Other then that, that PSU is on our stay away list, didn't get too hot of a review at http://www.jonnyguru.com, which is one of the most reputable websites. In the PSU section, there's a sticky with a list of recommended PSU's, I'd stick to one of those.

EDIT: Tiny tibit, put the sound card in the bottom slot and the capture card in the top. That way, you can SLI later, and both cards will fit/there will be a lot in between for the top card to breathe.

Why the change in optical drive?
It wasn't a conscious decision, I just chose the first one. It wasn't high on my priorities.

Other then that, that PSU is on our stay away list, didn't get too hot of a review at http://www.jonnyguru.com, which is one of the most reputable websites. In the PSU section, there's a sticky with a list of recommended PSU's, I'd stick to one of those.

Ok I went with a Silverstone Strider+. Updated build is as follows:

Attachments

• wishlsit.png
    wishlsit.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 106
Because I plan to run dual 1920x1080 monitors, would there be a large advantage running dual 570's or would the single 570 be sufficient for this. Alternatively would a 580 be better suited to dual monitors?

Changed again!

I've been reading reviews and other posts and have come to the conclusion that AMD is better at handling multi-monitor setups, therefore I have changed graphics cards to a similar Radeon HD6970.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• wishlsit.png
    wishlsit.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 94
Back