• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a computer and need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Replacement

I am looking to build a computer that I would use for work and personal.

Work stuff
Word Processing, Viewing and electronically signing PDF documents, I use Outlook A LOT, downloading and uploading documents, Internet browsing, Run a few specific programs that do not take a whole lot of resources, but I may have 10 of them going at the same time.

Personal Stuff
Internet browsing, I want to be able to edit HD home movies save them on a HDD and burn them to blu-ray disks, listen to music (audio out to receiver), I would like to store my movie collection and possibly stream them to PS3, I won't play games on it.

There may be times where I want to be doing all of these things at the same time and I don't want the system slowed down.

This would be a new build, here is what I think I need/want.
SSD (was thinking a 256 GB one to run OS and programs)
1 or 2 TB Internal HDD
Win 7
Office 2010
PDF Editor
Motherboard with some usb 3.0 and high voltage output for charging phone and iPad
CPU (doesn't need to be wicked fast but quick)
Memory
Case
Power supply (energy efficient is preferred)
Video card that supports multiple monitors (at least 2 if not 3)
Multiple Monitors (thinking 23-25" preferably with built in speakers)
Blu-Ray Burner
Memory card reader
DVD/CD Drive/burner

I have a mouse and keyboard

Any suggestions on what brand and models to use for this build? I don't really have an idea on what this will all cost, I was hoping on staying south of $1k without the monitors if possible (obviously if it comes in lower great).

Definitely can do lower. Do you want something small form factor as well?

If you are referring to the size of the case I would like to stay with an "average size", not a monster case, but big enough to fit everything without out being cramped or not able to add more to later if I wanted.

This build will be for personal use as well.

I found a Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz for $229, is that a good deal?

What do I look for when looking at Mother boards?

That CPU is a complete overkill for what you need, you don't need a very powerful computer at all. The SSD alone is what makes an office-type machine fast.

If you're not overclocking, all you need is the cheapest motherboard from a reputable company.

The reason for the GPU is that most onboard GPUs only support a max of two monitors, and he wanted the ability to run three. I agree that the power of a GPU is not really needed.

Seems like an awful lot to spend for such a weak computer with a Pentium CPU.

Might do better with one of those Newegg DIY Super combos, where you can get a lot more for $600 and technology within the past 5 years, like an i3 or i5.

I doubt it. None of those are complete computers and often skimp on quality of components.

Pentium is just a class of CPUs, the G2020 is an Ivy Bridge CPU. The only difference between Pentium and i3 is Hyperthreading, like the difference between i5 and i7.

Back