• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to expand my WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

Hi All,

This seems like the best place to ask a few questions; as from what I've read in these forums there are some very knowledgeable folks here.

I currently have an Apogee Drive II on my FX-8350. The CPU is running at 5Ghz. I'm also using a Alphacool 120x240x60 radiator with 4 BeQuiet pure wing fans on it. I'm ordering 2 kryographics R9 290 water blocks for my GPU's and a 200x200x60 radiator. I also have a northbridge, southbridge, and MOFET blocks to install. I would like to run this all as a single loop. My questions are: 1. Is this enough radiator surface. 2. Will the Apogee Drive II be able to push enough coolant to keep everything cool.

I have a 5000 BTU A/C unit that I've torn down and played with; and have considered using instead of the radiators but have not yet committed to that level of insanity.

Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?
Thanks
John

Before i answer your question, i need to know a little more.
First off, what kind of case do you have?
Second:, did you say that you already have a 120mm and 240mm rad and they're both 60mm thick?
Third:, you don't need Mosfet, RAM and VRM water block, they're only restrict the flow of the loop.

Before i answer your question, i need to know a little more.
First off, what kind of case do you have?
Second:, did you say that you already have a 120mm and 240mm rad and they're both 60mm thick?
Third:, you don't need Mosfet, RAM and VRM water block, they're only restrict the flow of the loop.

+1

Thanks for the reply.
The case is a Antec 900.
1 radiator at this time. It's a dual 120mm that is 60mm thick. It is mounted in the front of the case where the removable hard drive cages were mounted.
The reason I want to add cooling to the chipsets and mosfet's is because I overclock pretty high.
There is a 200mm fan in the top of the case so I figured I would put the additional radiator there. There is also a 120mm fan in the back of the case but I wasn't sure if it would be enough additional cooling to handle overclocked 290's and an overclocked CPU. If 3x120mm worth of radiator is sufficient then I will get a 120x60 radiator instead of a 200x60.
I will probably use the A/C unit to build a slush box later on but don't want to have to go to the trouble of insulating everything right now.

John

I haven't seen any 200mm radiators that aren't made out of aluminum in the market other than the ones that are. I advise on hanging a 120.3 rad in the back at the least.

I'd also be careful of condensation with that AC.

If you want to water cool your CPU, 2 GPU, mosfet, and VRM than may i suggest get a new case, there're lot of good case that're water cool friendly out there that cost around $100 (NZXT H440, Phantek Enthoo pro...)
However if you decide to stick with the old case, than run push/pull on the front rad and push on the upper 200mm rad, that what i would do and use 2 pump to increase the flow.

A 240 and 200mm rads will be perfect for your system. A 200 rad like the Phobya models is approximately equivalent to a 360 rad at the same fan speeds in the testing I have seen, so plenty for what you want.

The pump in the Apogee drive (35X) is plenty strong enough to give you good flow with all those components, as long as you aren't using old model, high restriction blocks for the NB, SB etc. Even then the overall loop performance would still be OK.

Last edited:
Back