• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking To Increase The Performance Of My System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dex2012

My setup is posted below. I just want some advise, whats something that would make my system overall better. I was thinkin about buying 4 more gb of ram. I can get it for only 33.95$ wich i think is a good deal. what you guys think i should invest in?:eh?:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 4MB Cache
CPU Fan: Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan (Stock)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51
GPU: MSI Radeon 5570 1GB OC 700MHz
Memory (Ram):4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
Case: Apevia X-Dreamer 3
SSD: Kingston 64 GB V100 Series (Boot, OS Drive, Applications)
HDD: 80GB Western Digital (Game Drive)
HDD2: 250GB (Media Drive)
PSU: Ark Technology 500 watt

My setup is posted below. I just want some advise, whats something that would make my system overall better. I was thinking about buying 4 more gb of ram. I can get it for only 33.95$ wich i think is a good deal. what you guys think i should invest in?:eh?:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 4MB Cache
CPU Fan: Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan (Stock)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51
GPU: MSI Radeon 5570 1GB OC 700MHz
Memory (Ram):4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
Case: Apevia X-Dreamer 3
SSD: Kingston 64 GB V100 Series (Boot, OS Drive, Applications)
HDD: 80GB Western Digital (Game Drive)
HDD2: 250GB (Media Drive)
PSU: Ark Technology 500 watt

First of all you have to tell us what you want to do with your computer. +1 to the new PSU idea. I suggest Corsair or Seasonic.

Yea haha i felt a bit nervous posting up the cheap PSU in my specs, i thought people would laugh haha, but if i do get a new PSU i want it to be modular and at-least about 600-700 watts so i can have room in the future to upgrade.

Im a light gamer, and im not to interested in spending 100's of dollars on a GPU.

If you're a light gamer and on a tight budget then I recommend you go for a 5850. My 5850 on its own at stock clocks can max out Black Ops at 1080p at 60fps with all the graphics and AA set to the max with vsync on, and it's probably the best value card at the moment.

what do you recommend PSU wise? I cant seem to find one that's modular about 600 watts and under about 80$

im looking on the Seasonic website but how do i know if they are modular?

With your budget, don't expect a good quality modular PSU. It should say on the Seasonic site if it's modular or not.

You should go for a non modular PSU instead. Buy a pack of cable ties and spend 15 minutes tidying up the cables. Have a look at the Corsair VX550.

Dang i really wanted to go modular, how bout the CX500 V2. Im pretty sure this will be able to push all my components but do you think ill have room for slight upgrades like the GPU you recommended in the future?

Buy a better CPU cooler and overclock the CPU, if your bios has overclocking options that is.

More ram will not improve performance unless you are running a applications which are particularly memory intensive.

I would also recommend upgrading that el cheapo PSU.

Just a word of caution. I see you cross posted this question in the General Hardware section. That is frowned upon here.

I merged your two threads. In the future please don't start identical threads in multiple forums, as all it does is cause confusion. Thanks... redduc900

Im so sorry bout the posting issue im new to this forums thing i posted it then realized i did in the wrong section then didnt know how to delete it.

Looks like The PSU is goin to get the upgrade. Thanx You guys im loving this Forums thing, you can get some good help.

Back