• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to OverClock my AMD Athlon II x4 630

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, don't turn your case fans around. That will disturb the overall flow pattern through the case. Instead, get a "spot" fan for the VRM. 50mm fans work good for this. You might also consider a spot fan for the underside of the motherboard blowing on the socket area. That can really help with socket temps. VRM=Voltage Regulation Module.

Choose those small spot fans wisely. Get ones that have higher quality bearings and are n the lower RPM side. The noise of the fast ones can really be annoying.

No, don't turn your case fans around. That will disturb the overall flow pattern through the case. Instead, get a "spot" fan for the VRM. 50mm fans work good for this. You might also consider a spot fan for the underside of the motherboard blowing on the socket area. That can really help with socket temps. VRM=Voltage Regulation Module.

Choose those small spot fans wisely. Get ones that have higher quality bearings and are n the lower RPM side. The noise of the fast ones can really be annoying.

I actually have a 120mm Bitfenix on the underside of my motherboard blowing right on the underside of that and my CPU.

But i'm deff going to look into a spot fan!

So I realized tonight that I had a Ballistix RAM Cooler, no I did not hook it up to my ram, But i took both fans out and did this!

First I used 3m double sided tape to stick them together.

0222162152.jpg

Then I used the same 3m double-sided tape and attached them to my VRM!
0222162203.jpg
0222162203a.jpg

Problem solved!

Plus I have a 120mm bitfenix Fan mounted on my case behind the motherboard blowing on the back side of the cpu and VRM!

Thank you guys for the advice. I'm glad I had that cooler just laying around!

Just the ticket! How'd you attach the fans?

With 2 small pieces (Roughly 1/2 Inch) of 3M Double sided tape right on the circle part of the fan shroud. Well that's how i attached it to the VRM, I figure if it holds awesome! If the heat gets to it and it happens to not hold up then I will rethink it!

To hold the two fans together I literally just cut a piece of double-sided tape the exact width of the fans and stuck them together, that double-sided tape works wonders so I have a feeling this is going to work.

I do want to invest in another fan (Exact same) and throw it on my other heat sink below my CPU

Ram got delivered this morning. But I'm at work. So now begins the long wait....not really that long. But another 4 hours lol

I have used double-sided adhesive strips myself to attach those spot fans to heat sinks. Just a heads up . . . I discovered that oftentimes the hub label lets go so I got into the habit of removing the label and cleaning the glue off hub before attaching the double-sided adhesive.

I have used double-sided adhesive strips myself to attach those spot fans to heat sinks. Just a heads up . . . I discovered that oftentimes the hub label lets go so I got into the habit of removing the label and cleaning the glue off hub before attaching the double-sided adhesive.

I never thought of pulling those stickers off 😒 but I think I will tonight! Almost done with work!

So I finally got home from work. I found these babies waiting for me :)

0223161820.jpg
0223161823.jpg

So now my question. Before I shut down. Should I reset all my Bios and Start the OC from step 1 again?

Well, resetting everything to baseline default is technically the right way to go but I'd just stick those new RAM sticks in and see what happens. When you get into Windows check the timings that bios assigns to the new RAM against what the manufacturer recommends. Use CPU-z and compare the Memory tab to the SPD tab. The memory tab shows what the frequency and timings actually are whereas the SPD tab show the recommendations for timings at various frequencies.

Back