• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade Air.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Good day Gentlemen!:salute:

I currently have an EVO Hyper 212 with the stock push fan. Is there a better Air heat sink say with push/pull and at what RPM should I be looking for? Or should I just replace the stock fan on the 212 and get a push/pull for it? I am trying to stay away from water for now. I don't put much stress on my CPU but I would like for it to run cooler. I get about 40C-50C right at the regular operating level with 24/7 OC. Thanks!:comp:

Edit: What do you guys think of this one? It looks too big to fit my Asrock but it has 8 heat pipes and 2 fans.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...156_1366_2011_AM2_AM3_FM1.html?tl=g40c14s1037

Edit#2: Copper and Aluminum fins and pipes? Which combo? Does it matter. I would like to get something that matches my rig. with blue LED fans.

Edit#3 Maybe I should just get a push/pull with these.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...-_Blue_BFF-BLF-P12025B-RP.html?tl=g36c365s936

Last edited:
Honestly, the EVO212 is a good heatsink. Try, instead, to replace the fan with a pair of Noctua NF-F12s in Push/Pull. They have a higher static pressure so will move air through the heatsink better than the stocker, and are far more quiet.

You'd be surprised at their performance. I know I was.

I used to buy Cougar fans but after trying Noctuas in my build, I'm a convert. They're worth every penny and then some...

TBH I'd just replace the stock fan with a NF-F12 or Scythe Gentle Typhoon or something; if you just wanted something a little nicer than the stock fan. I'd not replace your CPU cooler. 40-50C is great for ivy bridge.. You can run into the 80+ margin and be fine under 100% loading. My 2500k hits 60 with my fans on 1200 ish (dual AP 15 on a fan controller, on a Corsair H60 SE) and my front intake at around 600-700 RPM. That's only for gaming; it hits higher for IBT/Prime95. And I'm happy enough with those temps. Sandy runs cooler as it is vs your Ivy; so your temps seem perfectly fine to me.

Well I was a little concerned with my idle temps maxing out at 50C. I took off the push fan and the heat sink was filthy. I cleaned it all off and still getting the same temps. Let me get some screen shots and post them. Thanks for the replies I shall return.:salute:

Idle temps at 50C? Just above you said 40-50C ' at regular operating level'... which is it?

What are your ambient temps? I assume you are using Realtemp for these temp readings?

Capture 4.22.13.PNG

Here is my temps at idle. I said regular operating level because I rarely put much of a load on it. I am going to buy AIDA64 next payday for testing. I am supposed to be looking at the max right?

Yea AIDA64 is only free for 30 days. I tried to delete it and download it but it does not work.

So my temps are fine then?

What were you doing to get those temps? If your ambient temps are high, ie Dallas Texas high, it does make it tough too cool a cpu. My 212+ load temps dropped about 2-3c by going push pull.

What were you doing to get those temps? If your ambient temps are high, ie Dallas Texas high, it does make it tough too cool a cpu. My 212+ load temps dropped about 2-3c by going push pull.

I wasn't doing much just had a Chrome open, Real Temp and Core Temp open. It's not hot here it is room temperature.

It's not hot here it is room temperature.
lol room temperature varies Kenny, my ambient temp in my office is usually 70f what exactly is yours?
In addition, I had my CM 212+ on my I5 2500k, I run it at 4.7 24/7. Under prime my temps maxed out in the high 70's low 80's. I happened to find a Prolimatech Megahalems on ebay for a pretty good deal so I grabbed it. Using the same fans I had on the CM 212+ in push pull it dropped my temps 10c across the board.

I wasn't doing much just had a Chrome open, Real Temp and Core Temp open. It's not hot here it is room temperature.

I gots me a new sig. :D

Seriously though...if your room temperatures are in the 70°F-75°F range, a 212 with a pair of Noctuas should be acceptable if you have decent air flow in your case.

Sometimes it is hard to get schooled.:chair:

I am going to try the Noctuas. Thanks for your help guys.:salute:

lol room temperature varies Kenny, my ambient temp in my office is usually 70f what exactly is yours?
In addition, I had my CM 212+ on my I5 2500k, I run it at 4.7 24/7. Under prime my temps maxed out in the high 70's low 80's. I happened to find a Prolimatech Megahalems on ebay for a pretty good deal so I grabbed it. Using the same fans I had on the CM 212+ in push pull it dropped my temps 10c across the board.
And that is the difference between in low priced lower-middle range cooler and an upper range cooler. :) If you go on up to the top coolers you can easily drop another 5c.

Not saying anything bad about 212. It's just a $25.00 cool.. and for twice that price you get 10c drop in temp.. add another $20.00 for another 5c drop in temp.

Right now the Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is best cooling stock system.. but only because it comes with 130cfm/2500rpm TY-143 fans. Quite loud (well only as loud as a H100 is) but out coolers H100 by 7c only 1dBA louder.. and is nice and quiet if you set fans to run below 1200rpm. ;)

I decided to go with a custom loop.:chair: A lot more money and it will take a while to save for it but thats my plan.

If you are keen on getting a new HSF get a silver arrow or Gelid Black edition... I would however change the fans and what TIM are you using?

Back