• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to upgrade CPU Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speewave

I built my first AMD PC (and first PC ever) last year.. but one thing that constantly bugs me is the noise in the stock fan. honestly you would think i over work it or something, but it's quite loud while i'm on google chrome.

I don't OC (nor do i plan to), i just want a quieter system while i'm doing basic things... (and have it loud\cool when i really need it)

Right now i have on Cool And Quiet, having it clock to 1.7Ghz under minimal load, up to the full 3.3ghz spec.

With a few windows up and that configuration i'm around 37-38 degrees, and just as a quick test running the OverDrive benchmark i went up to 45 degrees...
-
Anyway, heres my setup:
3.3Ghz AMD Phenom II x6 1100T BE
ATI Radeon 5750
2x4GB DDR3 RAM (by patriot)
2x 320GB Barricudas (SATA)
1x DVD-RW Drive (SATA)

MSI 880G-E45 Mobo

ThermalTake v3 Case w/
1x120mm fan

-
considering that OC'ed computers normally need a lot of cooling i came to ask, what do you think i should try first to fix the problem?

BIOS Settings, Invest another case fan? or even a New CPU Fan?

Thanks in advance!

Also... what would you recommend for a Simple install? i don't really want to mess around in the back of the mobo... just a simple 1.add paste 2. install fan type deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Should barely fit in your case and will be quiet plus give you much better cooling than the stock unit. PWM fan that throttles down to 600 rpm when system is not taxed but runs at 2000 when it needs extra cooling. The PWM settings in bios may need to be manually set to give you the right effect for you range of computing but then it may be just right out of the box. Comes with paste.

I would also suggest putting a second fan in the case for a push-pull effect. You can get quiet ones and it may keep your CPU cooler fan from needing to wind high because you are clearing the hot air out of the case better.

:welcome: to OCF.

bugs me is the noise in the stock fan < Okay install a quieter fan.

But then you write this >> don't really want to mess around in the back of the mobo... just a simple 1.add paste 2. install fan type deal. < Now that sounds like you want to change out the CPU Cooler Assembly.

So what do you really mean? Install a quiter fan or HSF (heat sink fan) Assembly that might be quieter and cooler?

I don't think replacing just the fan without also changing the heatsink would be the way to go. The fan on the stock cooler revs up for a reason.

"trents" I surely know what you or I would do, but as I wrote, he really confused me or the issue. CM 212 EVO will not allow this >> just a simple 1.add paste 2. install fan type deal.

So I was really trying to get him to be more specific about 1. Skills and 2. real idea about his direction.

Back