• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low-Power 3D Mode on my eVGA 7900GS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reclaimer122

Ok, I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. My friend has his eVGA 7900GS (same exact card as me) overclocked to 615/828. I tried to do the same settings, but when I test this in ATITool, Windows freezes for anywhere from 5-15 seconds, and when it unfreezes, my video card is bumped down to low-power 3D mode. I have the card stable now at 595/828 but I'm a little discouraged that my overclock is pretty low compared to others. I can run the card without it going to low-power up to 603/828 but I get optimal FPS in ATITool with 595/828. By the way, I am setting clocks and settings in the nVidia driver, not ATITool.
Here's a pic of low-power mode...
lowpowermm3.jpg

As you can see in the pic, 3D is set to 610/828, but it is running at 500/828 with the framerate suffering severely. I don't know if this is an actual power thing or if it is just the GPU throttling because it can't support those higher speeds. Never had this problem with my 6800, same hardware except for the PSU (has 12.24 on the +12v). Any help is appreciated.

Once I got it so it didn't throttle down (595/828), I got 5600. Still over 1000 lower than yours. I'm pretty dissapointed.

Check box in ati tool "link silders together" Set desired clocks in ati tool and run 3dmark then report back

Ran it once and for some reason it ran like crap and got 5,500 then restarted and ran and got 6,100. Some cards don't oc as well it more the luck of the draw thats still a nice oc.The gpu will only throttle because of temps. Also in ati tool my fps is 575-660 don't know why yours is so low.How about a nice vmod jk. Also i was wondering what kinda increase i would see with two of these in sli or is it not worth it for 175$.:)

Last edited:
I was only using throttle down in place of some other word. I didn't wanna type "slow down because of too much stress and not enough voltage" Oh, and btw... I was just voltmodding :) You left your meter here... I couldn't help myself! Got the vmem to 2.4v (2.0v stock) by coloring in a resistor :) Can't figure out the vcore... looks like I'd need some conductive paint if I didn't wanna solder.

I don't wanna solder. I'd rather spend $15 on a circuit pen and some ink so I can just remove it if I need to. I backed down from 2.4v and I'm at 2.25v now :) Have the memory at 1900mhz, 950 effective. Core is at 598. Getting 650-653 avg FPS now in ATITool. :) But my temps go up to 67C under load for like 2 minutes. About to run 3DMark

Back