• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low-Profile AM3+ Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

I am looking at potentially getting the Cooler Master HAF XB Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265

It says with the top fan installed it supports a cooler that is 155mm tall. I'm guessing something probably in the 140mm tall range would be best, for a little clearance. I also use all 4 memory slots on my UD3, so that is a consideration. I'm also planning on eventually getting an 8320 or the next generation of AMD 6- or 8-core, whenever those finally come out.

What are some of the best low-profile air coolers out there for AM3+? Anything under 155mm works.

something for an FX 8 core, id recommend an AIO

costs a bit more but would probably outperform any low profile aircooling

cooler_master_haf_xb_back_top_built.jpg

reviewers say the pump sound is annoying. mabe use a H100/H110/Kraken X60 with the rad mounted in the front, but i`m not sure about the gpu clearence

you misunderstood me. as the AIOs listed are 2.120/2.140 they could fit in the 2 front fan spaces

Attachments

• cooler_master_haf_xb_back_top_built.jpg
    cooler_master_haf_xb_back_top_built.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 285
Gotcha. My Gigabyt 560ti is a pretty long card so that may not be doable. I was more thinking a single 120mm on the fan above the PSU, as in the picture.

the XB takes vga up to 334mm your card is 280mm long that leaves you 54mm for the rad. it will fit and you will be happy with the extra performance the double rad will give and also the VRMs temps will better as it will get better airflow. . :thup:

So are you saying mount the rad with no fans, then? Because a typical fan is 25mm thick by itself. The H110 is actually exactly 54mm with the fan, which probably would not end up fitting.

if your choice was originally a low profile air cooler, an average 120mm rad will be far better, especially given the space provided.

any decent one shall do! or like the pic a thick 120mm with push/pull which also reduces noise compared to a high rpm single fan

I do have a couple of Nactua 120s I could use. Plus the case has a 200mm on the roof, so airflow shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you everyone for all of the advice.

I ended up pulling the trigger and going with a Corsair H60. I would rather have 2 120mm fans as cool intake for the GPU. I'll be posting a build log once the parts come in.

Back