• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lower idle power consumption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SentinelAeon

Registered
Hello,

My current pc is as follows:

- i5 2500k default clock, 1.080V
- asus P8Z77-V LX
- R9 390 default clock, default voltage
- 1x 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 2.5" HDD
- Corsair 550W

I have my pc turned on 24/7 since i need it most of the time. Currently i have nothing overclocked because i do not need the speed. So i am trying to tweak my pc to use as little power as possible since its on 24/7. The only thing i did so far was going from 1.25V to 1.080V on cpu. And that gives me 52-54W on idle in killawatt, which is very good. But i was wondering, can i go further, without reducing the speed but instead just lower voltage and change some settings ? A few W will not save any bucks but i just love the challenge of for instance, going under 50W on idle. The question is, which settings in bios or elsewhere will net me further reduction in power consumption ?

Disable unnecessary items in the bios like a second NIC or wifi if you have it and dont use it...3rd party controller for sata ports (typically asmedia). Set the hdds to spin down quicker...

Buy a titanium rated psu which has a requirement of 90% efficiency at 10% load...(you surely wont be saving money..but if you want to be more efficient)...

Use an offset/adaptive voltage for so it lowers the clocks and voltage in idle (power savings set in windows) and doesnt sit at 1.08V.

...or, you know... shut it off when you arent using it. Zero W is better than sub 50. :p

Last.. upgrade. Idle power on modern GPUs are better than that power hungry thing you currently have. :)

Last edited:
I did experiment a while back trying to dial back power consumption as much as I could. System still pulled considerable amount of power at idle even after disabling most of the unnecessary stuff, turning on all power saving features and underclocking.

If you don't need those hard drives, pull the plug on them, or just migrate all necessary files temporarily to main disk. That will probably the most power savings you'd encounter. Well, and also trying out sleep feature. Takes couple seconds to turn on.

Back