• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lower than expected preformance in f@H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onx

ok well I have 2 rigs, both have 512MB of ram running synchrnous to the processor both are running xp pro and both are running F@H console 3.24

problem is my main rig will fold about 2 times as fast, or faster than my other rig, but i dont think there is that large of a difference, expecially since i play games and crap on my main rig and the other is just a chat/mail/file server that doesnt get that much use so its really bothering me that it takes it over a day to turn out 1 thingy (on average)

anyway here are the comp specs

main rig

athlon xp 1800+ @ 2.4ghz (200x12)
DFI lanparty NF2 ultra
512MB ram dual channel @ 200 mhz (with crappy timings)

other rig

athlon xp 2400+ @ default 2ghz
gigabyte random number with kt400a
1 stick of 512 @ 133mhz (syncrnous with FSB)

thanks

onx

I would switch to the 3.25 or 4.0 client. Probably one of them is using SSE, but the other may start out with SSE and then switch to 3dnow! ( a known bug in the 3.24 client).

-advmethods and -forceasm make a tremendous performance difference. As Arkaine23 said you want to upgrade your client, but be sure to use these command line switches when you do.

If you do get the 4.0 client, be sure to use -forceSSE instead of -forceasm though. -forceasm only gives you the 3dNow! boost now.

ok well how do you enter those commands in? i cant figure it out...

on windows if you have it set to startup when the windows loads, then goto the startup programs menu on the start menu and edit the properties for F@H, where it has the path to the exe, add the commands after the location to the program, (example: "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -forceasm -advmethods -forceSSE )

Are you sure you are comparing the same protein?

Each protein folds in different times.

That's true. If you were folding a 32 point protein for example, and now you're folding a 60 point protein, your frame times will be quite a bit different.

Back