• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 Wifi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Hey fellow geeks, what do you think about M.2 Wifi? I have never installed anything M.2 related. Should I get one with antennas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I havn't really seen much available as far as m.2 wifi + antenna packages. Just a few fenvi and asia vendors. I think oems just use them to save costs. Not sure what you mean about getting one with antenna, it's not gonna do much with bare headers right?. Did you have a product in mind you saw? You'll prob have a simpler time getting a pcie wifi card unless m.2 is your only slot left. Those antenna wires for m.2 can be really short too causing problems if the m.2 slot is kinda far away from the pci slot bracket/

M.2 Wi-Fi is usually a Key-E type unit (where storage is key-m)... if you have a slot for in the rear IO, go for it.

Absolutely I would get one with antennas... otherwise, range (at minimum) will suffer.

Why not a simple PCIe NIC instead?

This one is in the high end mobos that support Wi-Fi 6 - https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-004T-0...m_re=m.2_wifi_card-_-9SIAKTH9R76662-_-Product

Heck of deal...

And the antenna - https://www.newegg.com/p/2VT-006A-0...cm_re=wifi_antenna-_-2VT-006A-00021-_-Product

Why not a simple PCIe NIC instead?
I agree. If me, I would go for something like this. Or for just a little more, there are models with separate antennas you can place high up a wall on desktop for even greater range and flexibility - like this one.

EarthDog said:
This one is in the high end mobos that support Wi-Fi 6 - https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-004T-00...6662-_-Product

Heck of deal...

And the antenna - https://www.newegg.com/p/2VT-006A-00...0021-_-Product
Ummm, according to the specs for that M.2 card, it uses NGFF. And according to the description (and 3rd image) for that antenna, it states in all UPPER CASE,
ONLY USE FOR MINI PCI-E INTERFACE,DO NOT USE FOR NGFF INTERFACE
And that makes sense. How would you route those antenna cables out the back?

Ummm, according to the specs for that M.2 card, it uses NGFF. And according to the description (and 3rd image) for that antenna, it states in all UPPER CASE, And that makes sense. How would you route those antenna cables out the back?

1. M.2 is NGFF AFAIK. There are different keys for the M.2 slot (as mentioned above).
2. RE: Routing cables out the back... you would attach the end to the Wi-Fi card (as shown in picture 3), then the coax parts to the board/rear io shield (which his has a space for mounting), and the antennas go on outside of that (wires would be on the inside). Did I miss something?
3. If there is actually a difference between mini PCIe and NGFF in the antenna aspect (it is different in connection - one using M.2, the other mPCIe), then he can get these - https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-065J-0...cm_re=ngff_antenna-_-9SIAE87A4G5508-_-Product

Not sure what cable routing has to do with it (I just said how it would be done - the 'NGFF' cables look exactly the same), but perhaps some kind of protocol? Not sure what you are getting at as cable routing doesn't actually seem to be the problem with it?

EDIT: Scratch that... the first device will not use the CNVi, apologies. THIS is the device he should use with his motherboard... it supports/uses the native CNVi found on his chipset - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560-2230-Gigabit/dp/B07G42J6KQ
and this antenna - https://www.amazon.com/CHAOHANG-RP-SMA-Antenna-Soldering-Wireless/dp/B01E29566W

Last edited:
1. M.2 is NGFF AFAIK.
:( I guess I was not clear.

Yes, M.2 is NGFF as I noted above. But the antenna you linked to specifically says, "DO NOT USE FOR NGFF INTERFACE".
and the antennas go on outside of that (wires would be on the inside). Did I miss something?
Yes! Where are the wire's connectors going to exit the case? If the card is inside and the antennas are outside, the wires have to connect to the antennas somewhere. And what's going to support the antennas on the outside of the case? Sure you can remove a slot cover to run the wires through, but then there would be a gaping hole in the back and the antennas would just have to dangle out the back

Same applies with those Chaohang antennas. If you use the extension wires to have the antennas outside the case, what are the antennas then mounted to? They would have to just hang there. You would need something like this mounting bracket to mount the antenna to the wall or back of the desk. That bracket would work, but again, where would the wires exit the case?

If lucky, your case might have a grommet hole like the two seen on this case where the wires could be routed through. Otherwise, I think you would have to leave a slot cover off and that might expose the wires to sharp sheet metal edges. It would mess with aesthetics too - and perhaps air flow and dust control.

That's why I think a PCIe wifi card is a better solution here. The external antennas mount on the included slot cover. Or with the card with detachable antenna, there is still new slot cover and the external wires attach to it.

Now if this PC is (and always will be) located in the same room as the wireless access point, then range most likely won't be a problem and the antennas totally inside the case should be fine.

Yes! Where are the wire's connectors going to exit the case? If the card is inside and the antennas are outside, the wires have to connect to the antennas somewhere. And what's going to support the antennas on the outside of the case? Sure you can remove a slot cover to run the wires through, but then there would be a gaping hole in the back and the antennas would just have to dangle out the back
I guess I wasn't clear enough...nothing goes outside of the case except the actual antenna...

The wires would not leave the case. One end (with the tiny circles) attaches to the card itself, the other end mounts to the inside of the rear IO shield. That gold portion has two male threaded ends. One is on the outside for the antenna to connect to, the other end of the gold connector pokes through the IO shield and has a simple bolt that holds it to the bracket on the rear IO. Again, his rear IO shield already has the holes for this to happen... no wires go outside of the case.

Hopefully that clears it up. LMK if I missed anything.

As an aside, I still don't understand what NGFF and PCIe has to do with the antenna though...same mount points and everything... so it must be a protocol thing? No idea.

EDIT: Maybe it has to do with that circular connector? I see MHF3 and MHF4 sizes or something? Either way, the correct wire and module was listed in my last post if he chooses to go the M.2 route.

Last edited:
Okay. Now that I looked at the rear I/O panel of his motherboard and see the two ports you are talking about, we are on the same page. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

That said, I will say if the OP wants to add a M.2 SSD in the future, a M.2 wifi card may be in the way.

Now that I looked at the rear I/O panel of his motherboard
The first thing I did before replying in this thread, lol!

That said, I will say if the OP wants to add a M.2 SSD in the future, a M.2 wifi card may be in the way.
What makes you say that? They lay flat... the trick is having wires long enough to route under the GPU and up to those ports in the rear IO. Some boards have the M.2 Wifi slot directly behind the ports. If you were talking count, there are two other M.2 slots (one above and one below) for storage. So that assertion is correct, but only if he had two other M.2 drives...

... that said, the Wi-Fi port doesn't support a storage drive (key-e vs key-m) in the first place. ;)

Last edited:
Because the M.2 slot will be in use. And so if the other slots are used too, then the wifi card "may" be in the way.
Please read the edited/entire post... I edited/added a few things for more clarity (the meat of which was there before your reply, LOL). :D

the trick is having wires long enough to route under the GPU and up to those ports in the rear IO. Some boards have the M.2 Wifi slot directly behind the ports. If you were talking count, there are two other M.2 slots (one above and one below) for storage. So that assertion is correct, but only if he had two other M.2 drives...

... that said, the Wi-Fi port doesn't support a storage drive (key-e vs key-m) in the first place.

EDIT: The other thing is that it may disable a port or something on that board. I don't have a chipset diagram to see where it shares from though. The manual doesn't say much, but I haven't poured through it (Kenny - that is for you, lol). :)

EDIT2: THough since its a CNVi module it may already be allocated??????

Last edited:
Back