• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M2 socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If what OC Detective is saying is correct, Socket M2 may not end up being what we (and they) thought it would be in 2006.

Q2 (not Q1) 2006 is the current rumored release date and Q2 stretches until mid 2006.

So if all this is correct, who's to say they won't push it even further into 2006 and toward 2007.

So now about this new socket in 2007 that is not M2 and that no one has talked about ever anywhere? That's highly unlikely. There's always a leak about something as big as that.

I think it's more likely they'll scrap what's on the table now before releasing a short lived comprehensive Socket M2.

...unless....

they actually want to have two sockets.

They release M2, milk as much $ as they can > then use it as a Sempron platform while milking the $ anew from the new Socket reserved for the higher end offerings for which there won't be Semprons just like there aren't Semprons for Socket 939 retail.

But I don't think that's likely either.

I vote delay (and possible change) of Socket M2 specs is more likely before anything like this happens.

I have mooted the possibility of jumping to DDR3 before and it makes sense if a few caveats do not come into play. Namely:
Intels new offerings are significantly superior to AMDs through 2006
DDR3 introduction after Q1 2007.

I really do not think AMD could hold out on the existing platform till after then.

Note AMDs promise of DDR3 is not by 2007 but during 2007.

Maybe socket m2 provides support for dual memory controllers on the dual core chip instead of each chip just sharing the one. That would definately make it easier for quad cpu configurations to come out.

The guys that work in the same building as Intel and who have a proven track record of AMD hatin' :) had already talked about DDR3's arrival:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050824_041534.html

August 24, 2005 - 04:15 EST

San Francisco (CA) - Elpida and Hynix showcased DDR3 modules at Intel's developer forum for the first time. The technology, however, is at least another 18 months out and manufacturers are currently gearing up to deliver fully-buffered DIMMs for the first quarter of next year.
(...)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but there will not be a dual core FX. FXs (and 64s, and semprons) will stay single with the orleans core (manila core, or as I like to call it, "vanilla" :D , for the semprons), X2s will be AMD's dual with the windsor core.

I think everyone thought that AMD would do the same as intel have have their cream of crop chip dual core.

Quailane said:
I think everyone thought that AMD would... have their cream of crop chip dual core.

They could slap two letters that say 'FX' on the 4800+ X2, what else would change, other than unlocked multiplier for overclockers but overclockers don't really need 13 and up multipliers for Socket 939, I mean 4800+ X2 systems usually have RAM that doesn't need 13 & up.

Last edited:
LoneWolf121188 said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but there will not be a dual core FX. FXs (and 64s, and semprons) will stay single with the orleans core (manila core, or as I like to call it, "vanilla" :D , for the semprons), X2s will be AMD's dual with the windsor core.

Forgive the ignorance but is this a new core that isnt out yet or is it out but they will be making higher clocked once for the M2 socket x2 set-up's?

What core? Socket M2 has not been released of course. All info about it is speculation. AMD itself may well change the plans they have today for it by the time it gets released next year.

It seems we'll have Socket M2 DDR II 667, Presidio & Pacifica technologies for about a year to year & a half, after which DDR 3 Socket & new AMD aarchitecture will arrive, it seems at the end of 2007.

So look for good deals now and enjoy what you can get now... I wouldn't wait for M2.

The Coolest said:
Maybe (hopefully) Socket M2 will be compatible with DDR3? Or they postpone the release of DDR3 supporting chips and chipsets?

That is what I am thinking. Since it has allot more pins than what people think is necessary for DDR2 support, maybe they have extra pins so they can be more flexible about what they add in the future, perhaps DDR3.

Nope, as stated earlier in the thread:

Petr said:
They are preparing new architecture for end of 2007.

That's 'new architecture' to follow up the release of Socket M2 next year.

c627627 I take it you have assumed that the new architecture at end of 2007 is related to the implementation of DDR3.........

M2 will be DDR II 667.

As soon as someone posts about which DDR III rating the follow up 2007 socket will may have, we'll get a third chart going... ;)

Thing is change of socket to incorporate DDR2 and DDR3 is not really new architecture.....
So whilst DDR3 may be incorporated into the change - it will not be the only or indeed primary reason for the change.

Yes. It can be assumed that multi-core architecture is an important reason too. DDR 3 is just something to put on a chart, not a primary reason for post M2 socket change which apparently is coming.

Besides, we all knew PCIe II was coming, I guess we thought it would be here later than 2007, but then again late Q4 2007 is just before 2008 :)

Last edited:
LoneWolf121188 said:

You are probably surprised because I think your sources are incorrect. Back in April AMD contradicted that statement.
(See last paragraph in section enititled "Dual core on the desktop: Do more in less time")

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~97108,00.html

Specifically:
"AMD plans to introduce a dual-core version of the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor when multithreaded software games are available to take advantage of its benefits. "

Back