• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A785D-M PRO will not post.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dava4444

Hi guys

first time poster so please be kind.

been building for a few years now, did around 5 builds, loads of refurbs and fixer upers, and rebuilds of my main desktop.

so I get back to my little slice of Scotland from my GF in NY, and my main comp was fine, i had promised my cousin i would teach him how to build, I had most of the parts from old build just laying around, so 'no fuss' i thought.

I have a Zalman 850w heatsink PSU that was just sitting there as it was too big for the case i was using. He needed my Win Power 800w PSU for his build which i was using in my main comps small case, i gave him it thinking i still had the Zalman in my bedroom so no biggy. I have a Luna case (wow) that i wasn't using and i could fix it up and put the Zalman in it, i also have a really big Blu-ray optical so the two were ill fitting, but not in the Luna.

We did his build and the 'jammy get' got post/boot up first time lol. but overall i was pleased. and so ...i have to do the main rebuild for me.

I sorted out the Luna with a much needed clean up, (i really like this case, i don't usually spend more than 30 quid on a case but this was a bargain at £50, i'd say £100 would be closer), anyways I put everything together as usual, except this time i added an old wifi card, which i now regret, because this might have done something, i think it already killed my Asrock. mmm, :( if i find it its going in the bin!!

(FYI I dont like Level One wifi products, the router died three months after purchase and the wifi card killed my Asrock)

so I start it up, no post. no fans. hard drives yes and little power light on the mobo yes but nothing else. a filcker from the HDMI on the TV then nothing.

the Zalman light went green at one point but still nothing.

anyone know if these mobo's have any faults like this? or was it really the wifi card in the study with the candlestick?

my much needed specs:

AMD Phenom 9550 C3
Asus M4A785D-M PRO
8GB/ 2x2gb corsiar 800mhz 2x2gb OCZ 800mhz (i have tried it with one stick)
LG Bluray hd/dvd cd optical.
WD 300gb black cav.
seagate 280gb
stock AMD cooler

and i think that's it. IGFX HDMI to my big HDMI tv.

i have seen Praise The Lord mobos come back to life, my Asrock died at least once before (de-ionized water incident) which the wifi card was involved in.

wow long post this must'a really upset me lol

peace

Dava

ps.I have swapped PSUs CPU's but don't have another mobo to try the CPU's.

you got:
5v standby power, 12vHD power good, psu seems to be working and probably not shorted out.
tested other power supply, no fans though. a pattern is formed there . . . if only . . .
replaced the cpu.

check this stuff off
12V seperate wire thing that goes to motherboard 4 pin 8 pin whatever it is, is it there ?
Remove the big power connector off motherboard, check connection points in the end of connecter for any visual anomolies?
Cmos Jumper location

grasping for straws, board standoffs, some thing you missed via the case somehow
pull from case and see if it works up on safe insulated area?

You have no Beeps, that means something, what is it? . . .
is is one of 3 primary components required to achieve the beeps themseleves, or the power not being on for Long enough to do that.
Is power on long enough to Beep if it would? is beeper connected ?

Last edited:
Hi Psycogeec

thanks for the advice :)

hadn't thought to check the power connector ends, but the top hit there is the beeps, never would of thought of thanks :) ill do that tomorrow as I'm shattered just now n' going to bed, ill update tomro as is :)

thank you again for your reply

Dava

Hi

just an update, nup no beeps :( bummer

I suppose the 'board is dead, I only had it a few months, I only did the build before i left at the start of April... ahh well..

i'll get a new board when i get cash in a couple of months. The board for my cousins build was an Intel, i had an Asus AM2 board but one of the mosfets fried, I could *try* and revive the Asrock*, but i think its pretty dead.

laptops batterys going

so ill maybe try something

Dava

*replace the cmos battery, clear cmos, secure NB and HSink.

you could check for fried power items, around the processor
Clear the cmos manually
you could also tear out the CPU again, do a deep analisis of its connections, and any possible problems with that, mabey sombody forgot to put the clamp arm down or something.

you could reduce components , especially to reduce to 1 memory stick , no plug in cards, and onboard grafics only if they exist.

i have been in situations like this before with the simplest of upgrades like changing my cpu or rearanging my case (both being full dissasembles), so i knew the bloody board worked 2 hours ago, it can drive me crasy for 6-8 hours then some strange change and it is working. but Usually on my stuff the fans are either going on for a few seconds, or running.
one time a fleck of something was in the cpu socket.
on the web i have seen pictures where the tiny connection points at the bottom of the socket were screwed up.
or i can remove something or put it IN and then it starts going again. like some sort of combination lock to get boot :)

Last edited:
Hi

yeah same here, the board had only been out for few hours :(

I had already tried your suggestions :(

I RMA/warranty 'd Asus in a email hoping i would get lucky. they still havent gotten back to me. if they don't in the next 24 hours i have the link they sent me to contact them again, which i hope escales the case. I know i put that wifi card in, but this 'board *should* handel that, they even had it in the 'boards FAQ that some had died like mine, so it still has 3 years warranty on :S

thanks again Psycogeec

Dava

Back