• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machine has died suddenly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colsie

Registered
Hi,

I have a machine that been running for 2 months without issue. Last night I went to power on and nothing.

After a little investigation, if unplug the power cable so the light goes out on the MB then plug it back in when i hit the power button the fans etc spin for about 0.5 secs and then it just stops. If I proceed to hit the power button again and again nothing happens at all - not even the fans move.

I have reset the cmos, checked the switch and checked everything is plugged in as it should be.

I know the build was good as it worked for 2 mths.

Where to start ?

Colsie said:
Hi,

I have a machine that been running for 2 months without issue. Last night I went to power on and nothing.

After a little investigation, if unplug the power cable so the light goes out on the MB then plug it back in when i hit the power button the fans etc spin for about 0.5 secs and then it just stops. If I proceed to hit the power button again and again nothing happens at all - not even the fans move.

I have reset the cmos, checked the switch and checked everything is plugged in as it should be.

I know the build was good as it worked for 2 mths.

Where to start ?

Sounds like the power supply is shot, do its fans go on and stay on? Did you try unplugging the cables from the PS to the mobo and reseating them?

Orion,

The PSU fans do not go on at all. The only way I know the MB has some sort of power is that the green led MB light is on.

Colsie said:
Orion,

The PSU fans do not go on at all. The only way I know the MB has some sort of power is that the green led MB light is on.

Then you need a new power supply I would guess, though it could be the switch as well.

Orion,

Finally got a new PSU - you were bang on... thanks Pal - you saved me quite a bit of time and money.

Colsie said:
Orion,

Finally got a new PSU - you were bang on... thanks Pal - you saved me quite a bit of time and money.

Kewl, glad it helped. What kind of PSU did you decide to buy?

Back