• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MACS Monsoon II questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vogster

I aquired a currently not functioning QX6700 with motherboard and MACS Monsoon II cooler. I have never messed with one of these types of coolers and I have a question. It has a silver cable with a power cable coming out of it that plugs into a PCI card. The connecter on the cable and on the PCI card are burned looking like they may have shorted at some point. I'm wondering if I can just pull this PCI card out and leave it unplugged so it's acting like a regular heatsink at least long enough to do some troubleshooting. I don't currently have another heatsink for an LGA775 and I would rather not buy one if this CPU is shot just to find out it's shot.

Edit: I think I might be able to use this XP-90c but the question still stands about if I can use the monsoon as a regular heatsink.

Since that has TEC built into the base of the heatsink, you will have to use the PCI card. With some clever work, you could probably run it off a regular 4-pin molex connector, but without knowing the exact specs of the TEC, it is pretty dangerous. If you run the heatsink without the card, it would be slightly better than running without a heatsink. The TEC in the off state will literally be like a blanket over the processor.

Back