• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Madden 08 reviews are coming in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

7 1/2 hours left till I can finally sink my teeth into this game! God I can't wait lol

Last edited:
Lets pretend I dont have a copy of the 360 and PS2 version :p

Be it told? My biggest complaint? A game being released tomorrow sure bites when there roster is like 6 months old. (yeah you can update it) but if the roster is 6 months old then who is to say when the game was actually finished. It has its Pros and Cons. Honestly feels and plays like 07 with some added junk that I dont need to get my football fix. The new music is nice, and they updated some of the stadiums.

Scott9027 said:
Is there a midnight release for this game?

Ya gotta be kidding... Madden and Harry Potter I'll never understand. (Full Disclosure: I read the first three Harry Potter books... because I was in Japan, someone gave them to me as a gift before I left, and after three months they were the only thing I had to read in English. I never bothered picking up any others.)

I'd stand in line at midnight to go to an all asian (and me) club. I might stand in line at midnight for a good Taiwanese restaurant. But the 17th installment of a football game and a British wizard... I dunno...

What the difference between getting it at midnight and picking it up 9 hours later? Or on your lunch break? You'd just wind up with more sleep.

Then again the only actual electronic I ever stood in line for was a $200 laptop I didn't get. (But I did get an HDTV out of the deal. So all's fair.)

I would stand in line for Bioshock... but somehow I don't think they're going to run out of copies.

And while I'm in here... what's with all these pre-orders? Does anyone really believe there won't be enough copies of Madden to go around? I'd say get Marvel Ultimate Alliance if you want a hard to find item. Or, better yet, Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Now... back to Madden... I saw the HD video review. I've read other reviews (that's a complete lie. I haven't read anything about it)... and I just don't see it. Where's the "Next Gen"? I was able to see "Next Gen" all over Fight Night 2003. Next Gen is definately engrained in Bioshock.

Where is it in Madden08?

rainless said:
Then again the only actual electronic I ever stood in line for was a $200 laptop I didn't get. (But I did get an HDTV out of the deal. So all's fair.)
OT, but damn I know exactly what that feels like. Black friday last year I waited for a long time to get a $500 laptop, but ended up a few spots short of getting a voucher. Came home with a 32" LCD HDTV instead :eh?:

shirker said:
OT, but damn I know exactly what that feels like. Black friday last year I waited for a long time to get a $500 laptop, but ended up a few spots short of getting a voucher. Came home with a 32" LCD HDTV instead :eh?:

Yeah. I think that's the whooooooole point of Black Friday. ;)

Surprise Surprise:

IGN PS3 Comments said:
Madden NFL 08 on PS3 is no a great game. It is a shadow of its cousin on 360. Though the feature set is identical, the drop to an unstable 30fps hurts considerably. The visuals and the gameplay suffer. If you are a real Madden nut and think you can fight through the framerate issues, Madden is an overall good game. It just doesn't run very well. If you only own a PS3 and live for Sundays, then there really is no other choice than to give Madden 08 a shot.

PS3 Graphics 6.5 said:
The details are good, but Madden is ugly in motion. It's optimistic to call this a game that runs at 30fps. The animations don't look that great because of the lower framerate.

360 Graphics 9.0 said:
The new animation system is outstanding and one of the best improvements to Madden in several years. The crowds and sidelines aren't up to par.

Seems like a pretty easy choice if you have both platforms.

deception``

rainless said:
Yeah. I think that's the whooooooole point of Black Friday. ;)
no the whole point is being first in line at best buy the day before black friday and waiting in line for 16 hours to spend $2500 on electronics that your only gonna resell for profit LOL (yes thats my story from last year and i doubt ill have any money for this year)

as for madden.. ever since it gained substantial popularity its had a 12 midnight release. apparently people cant wait to play a mediocre football game with awesome graphics.

Like I said, I'll spend $6 to rent it and if I see no reason to buy it over 2K7 other than the obligatory roster updates, then screw it I'm not feeding EAs monopoly of sub-parness.

FudgeNuggets said:
Like I said, I'll spend $6 to rent it and if I see no reason to buy it over 2K7 other than the obligatory roster updates, then screw it I'm not feeding EAs monopoly of sub-parness.

You should try actual reading some of the reviews for this game; seems to me like your disgust for EA has clouded your judgement. Believe it or not, they are still capable of making a good title or two.

deception``

deception`` said:
You should try actual reading some of the reviews for this game; seems to me like your disgust for EA has clouded your judgement. Believe it or not, they are still capable of making a good title or two.

deception``

I've read them..... Hell, I posted links to them.....

I rented NCAA 2008 and after playing it could not justify buying it even as an upgrade to NCAA 2005. I'm going to do the same for Madden before dropping $60.

Alright, so I went and got it from Blockbuster. Just played my 2nd game. Having rented NCAA 2008 earlier this year, I can say the games are almost interchangable save for the spotlight players, this year's "feature/gimmick". That being said, it does play quite a bit different from the last few years versions (only due to controller layout) and the animations are quite a bit better. Of course there are the obligatory menu tweaks and a few button changes ie:hurdle and hit stick 2.0, plus in pass rushing you use the shoulder buttons to make moves which seems awkward, in my hands at least.

What I'm saying is this: IMO NCAA is the better game. If you'e an NFL fan and don't care much about NCAA then go for Madden. I happen to like the presentation factor and the announcers on NCAA, plus I can artifically make the game more difficult by taking a team like the Indiana Sycamores and setting up my schedule to play teams like USC, OSU, Notre Dame etc....

Don't get me wrong I like them both, but all the rants of marked differences and this being the next step in football evolution are BS. I'm not seeing the amazing AI upgrade it was supposed to get. It's the same thing madden has given us the last decade. Tweaked graphics, tweaked controls, tweaked menus and a new gimmick feature. The best part of it are the new animations, those are pretty nice.

Last edited:
Krome said:
Anybody play this on the Wii yet?

Yes there is a grid 3 spaces wide and 10 yards long and you have to manuver your little red dot past the other read dots. Watch out though HERES THE CATCH the other red dots move and try to block your path and catch you!

BUT WAIT if you keep your little red dot behind the line of scrimage you can pass to a dot thats on your team as long as there is only 1 opposing team dot between you and him!!!

Oh golly, gosh its a grand site to behold!

All kidding aside, who can name that game?

OC Noob said:
Yes there is a grid 3 spaces wide and 10 yards long and you have to manuver your little red dot past the other read dots. Watch out though HERES THE CATCH the other red dots move and try to block your path and catch you!

BUT WAIT if you keep your little red dot behind the line of scrimage you can pass to a dot thats on your team as long as there is only 1 opposing team dot between you and him!!!

Oh golly, gosh its a grand site to behold!

All kidding aside, who can name that game?

Don't need to name it ;) Did you know you can still buy them :eek:

football-784095.jpg

Back