• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Madden 08 reviews are coming in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Popped open the game yesterday and I have to say that I am very impressed:

1. 60 FPS really makes a big difference. I didn't have a problem with Madden 07 [30 FPS], but the visual boost is very welcome.

2. The gameplay animations are much nicer and come with a lot of variety. Tackles and Wideout catches quickly come to mind.

3. The gameplay presentation is still a bit mediocre - the menu's move a little faster but there should be better use of the ESPN and NFL licenses.

4. The variety of defensive audibles and preplay motions marks a significant turn from the last game - though they can be a bit overwhelming at first. I suspect it's going to take me a while before they all become like second nature.

5. The Weapons System is very interesting; however, I am not completely sold as to whether or not it is actually of some value or if it marks this year's novelty.

6. The Achievements are very diverse and should give many people reason to play for quite a bit of time.

7. Fumbles are MUCH more frequent in this game; I suppose this will take some getting used to.

8. I like the fact that there are more mid-air hits on Wideouts when they jump up to catch the ball. It will force me to throw the ball low as well as in the air.

7. I believe that the gameplay AI has been tweaked. It's much more difficult to throw a pass in tight coverage or establish the run. It seems like it was much easier to throw for over 300 yards in the last Madden.

8. I still don't know if the usual exploits exist, but I will find out soon enough. The worst thing that bothered me were people that drop back deep with the QB [with the goal to force the AI secondary drop away from the backfield] only to lob the ball in the air and have a WR pick up a huge pass. Too many times in Madden 07 a person would miss 70% of their passes only to have one huge one connect for a score. Oh, and, it was annoying when people would pick the Bengals and run around with C. Palmer [or other QB's] like they are Michael Vick.

Overall I'd say that I am very satisfied with the game so far - it appears to be much more polished than the Madden 07 version. The gameplay has been tweaked and I don't think I'll see as many monster yardage games as I once did.

deception``

Does is still have a problem where HB/FB get stuck behind linemen?

I'll probably pick it up once my 360 gets back. APF 2K8 is nice, but playing with the actual team does make a big difference.

RedDragonXXX said:
Do is still have a problem where HB/FB get stuck behind linemen?

I'll probably pick it up once my 360 gets back. APF 2K8 is nice, but playing with the actual team does make a big difference.

Can't say for sure yet. I'm at work now and I only played for a few games. I did a lot of passing to try to get my rhythm back - I'll work on setting up a solid run game tonight. One thing I can say is that it's very hard to take down some of those Power Backs - Larry Johnson literally shreds threw my front line.

deception``

They claim that their tackles now are purely based on physics and not pre-animation so I was just curious if that fixed the problem. That bugged me more then anything with this game. I hate it when I play someone and get open field with my HB only to get stuck behind my blocker :temper:

I know that they fixed a LONG overdue problem with WR running out of bounds when catching ball in outside routes.

Fr3@k3r said:
ill probably pick it up when available at Hollywood Video friday, just for the quick AP's.. which is basically all sports games are good for ;)

See above. The achievements in this game aren't that easy to come by - unless you picked a stacked team like the Chargers and play the game on the easiest setting.

deception``

comment on actual game: PC version. IMHO Garbage, complete Rip from Console- No extra features, no special roster updates (Hell-there aint one for PC version yet) Then again, PC has always been a port. Only this year, we got a 360 port and not a PS2 port :)

There should have been roster updates waiting for the release, you can see just how LONG ago this game was made when you look at the rosters. These idiots at EA show they dont care about the user or the game....just the money

deception`` said:
See above. The achievements in this game aren't that easy to come by - unless you picked a stacked team like the Chargers and play the game on the easiest setting.

deception``

well usually thats how you play sports games for just the ap's..

i know every ap in the game.. you can do it your way or you can start a 2 player game with an extra controller and play yourself ;)

So I Played the PS3 and PS2 version. I enjoy the PS2 version much better, but that's just because I didn't really like the new system of controls. It's a solid game, just not as good as NFL2k5.

I played the Wii version of 08, and it's fun. Crazy how throwing, and stuff requires you to actually move the controllers. I'm glad that I picked it up!

deception`` said:
Popped open the game yesterday and I have to say that I am very impressed:

7. I believe that the gameplay AI has been tweaked. It's much more difficult to throw a pass in tight coverage or establish the run. It seems like it was much easier to throw for over 300 yards in the last Madden.

The hell with that. Fumbles are my pet peeve. I'll get Madden 07 since it's 19.99 now.

rainless said:
The hell with that. Fumbles are my pet peeve. I'll get Madden 07 since it's 19.99 now.

It's really not that bad; turnovers are more frequent but some fumbles cannot be helped. I would suggest that you try Madden 08 [if you have not already] because I think it's a much better than last year's flavor.

deception``

Back