• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made the switch.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So long story short I just switch to Nvidia and got a 780 AMP Edition by Zotac and I'm only in $125 with tax and shipping.

Through a turn of events and two defective products I end up with $425 for something. I had Siberia Elites which I returned. Mic quality is garbage for a $200 headset and the right headphone was starting to go in a out.

The other $225 came from my Sapphire Dual-x 270x 4gb. I was really excited about this card and was honestly surprised at how well it ran a lot of what I threw at it @ 1440p. Sadly this card had issues, artifacts at stock settings. As I am going through the RMA process I am made aware that they have 0 4gb 270x in stock. So I get my money back on this.

I am now standing here with $425 and the need for a new graphics card. I'd LOVE to get a 290. But I can't support buying at these inflated prices.Amazon has a 290 from Sapphire with their Gaming cooler but it's a 1-2 month ship time. I don't think it's AMD fault as I dont believe AMD has changed the MSRP. But I went and pulled the trigger on a 780 AMP which will be here tomorrow. I am actually pretty upset I was not able to get a HOF edition as they would look amazing in my case. But Amazon said it would take 3-4 weeks to ship it.

So AMD user gone Nvidia. Looking forwarded to getting this sucker booted up and screaming on my Overclocked QNIX 1440p screen.

Any AMP owners out there? Ya'll happy with the card?

So long story short I just switch to Nvidia and got a 780 AMP Edition by Zotac and I'm only in $125 with tax and shipping.

Through a turn of events and two defective products I end up with $425 for something. I had Siberia Elites which I returned. Mic quality is garbage for a $200 headset and the right headphone was starting to go in a out.

The other $225 came from my Sapphire Dual-x 270x 4gb. I was really excited about this card and was honestly surprised at how well it ran a lot of what I threw at it @ 1440p. Sadly this card had issues, artifacts at stock settings. As I am going through the RMA process I am made aware that they have 0 4gb 270x in stock. So I get my money back on this.

I am now standing here with $425 and the need for a new graphics card. I'd LOVE to get a 290. But I can't support buying at these inflated prices.Amazon has a 290 from Sapphire with their Gaming cooler but it's a 1-2 month ship time. I don't think it's AMD fault as I dont believe AMD has changed the MSRP. But I went and pulled the trigger on a 780 AMP which will be here tomorrow. I am actually pretty upset I was not able to get a HOF edition as they would look amazing in my case. But Amazon said it would take 3-4 weeks to ship it.

So AMD user gone Nvidia. Looking forwarded to getting this sucker booted up and screaming on my Overclocked QNIX 1440p screen.

Any AMP owners out there? Ya'll happy with the card?

I don't own one, but I can explain why GFX card prices have skyrocketed: Mining. AMD Radeon's are fantastic hashers in the sense that they solve complex math puzzles very fast.

In essence, these GFX cards get paid ti solve puzzles, and everyone wants the good cards.

That's why most AMD GFX cards are overpriced. I'm a miner too, and it's hard for a student to get into the mining game when everything is so overpriced, so I know what it's like lol. :D

I don't own one, but I can explain why GFX card prices have skyrocketed: Mining. AMD Radeon's are fantastic hashers in the sense that they solve complex math puzzles very fast.

In essence, these GFX cards get paid ti solve puzzles, and everyone wants the good cards.

That's why most AMD GFX cards are overpriced. I'm a miner too, and it's hard for a student to get into the mining game when everything is so overpriced, so I know what it's like lol. :D

Oh, I understand why they are as high as they are but i was not sure if AMD themselves increased their MSRP and the vendor or if it was strictly the vendors. E.g. Newegg, Amazon, Kittydirect ect.

Oh, I understand why they are as high as they are but i was not sure if AMD themselves increased their MSRP and the vendor or if it was strictly the vendors. E.g. Newegg, Amazon, Kittydirect ect.

I don't think AMD raised the prices, just us pesky miners lol :p

I for one really hope GFX cards come down in price. I need something better than my 6850 I just bought...

Don't forget to do Driver Sweep to get rid of any AMD bits left behind before you install the new drivers.

As for the new Nvidia Drivers always do a Custom Install and check the box for a clean Install as well. There are 2 item that you do not need to install, that is Geforce and HD Audio you can uncheck the tick boxes for these before you install the new drivers.

1, http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/

As for the Zotac Amp its one of the highest reference clocked cards, but make sure you have a good enough PSU to do it justice and run properly.

AJ.

Last edited:
Don't forget to do Driver Sweep to get rid of any AMD bits left behind before you install the new drivers.

As for the new Nvidia Drivers always do a Custom Install and check the box for a clean Install as well. There are 2 item that you do not need to install, that is Geforce and HD Audio you can uncheck the tick boxes for these before you install the new drivers.

1, http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/

As for the Zotac Amp its one of the highest reference clocked cards, but make sure you have a good enough PSU to do it justice and run properly.

AJ.

Thanks for the info AJ. I do use a program to clean up the drivers. Believe it's drive sweeper.

I did not know about the custom install so that's good info. The HD audio, is that strictly for if you want to run audio and video through HDMI? I do from time to time, clearly when the GF is not home, take my computer out to the living room, take over and hook it up to the big speakers. I like to feel like I am IN the battlefield.

I did know the AMP was clocked quite high. Believe it and the HOF were the two highest clocked out of the box.

I'm pretty set with the power:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=217

I didn't even look to see what the power requirements were. Be interested to see what 2 780s need.

I think the 760, 770, and 780 are the cards to get right now, depending on budget. The 280X is just far too expensive for what it is, and the 270X struggles to keep up. For $25, that 780 is an awesome choice!

I used to install only what I needed for nVidia drivers, now I do it all.

Yes, HD Audio is for audio over HDMI. You'll need that, especially if you have a nice home audio system to go with that big TV.

I've even come to like GeForce Experience but only because it gives me a little pop-up reminder when a new driver comes available. The "optimized gaming presets" are interesting, but I don't let that program mess with my game settings. GeForce Experience is also required for game streaming, shadowplay, or configuring LEDs on your video card (if you have any).

I think the 760, 770, and 780 are the cards to get right now, depending on budget. The 280X is just far too expensive for what it is, and the 270X struggles to keep up. For $25, that 780 is an awesome choice!

Yeah I could agree with most of that. I've never been a fan of the 770. I think paying more than @200-250 for a 2gb card is silly. Lot of $$ for low memory card.

/agree 280x is just stupid $$$ right now.

Yeah I could agree with most of that. I've never been a fan of the 770. I think paying more than @200-250 for a 2gb card is silly. Lot of $$ for low memory card.

/agree 280x is just stupid $$$ right now.

There is a 4GB 770 for $370-ish (depending on brand and clocks), which is a nice stopping off point before making the jump to the 780. But the 780 is certainly a beast of a card.

Back