• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic screwdriver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok good, cus this screwdriver i got from fujifilm for free for doin a survey is nice as hell compared to what i was usin before

Hard drives are magnetically sheilded so that's not an issue. The only problem you may have is scrambling the saved information on a BIOS chip, in which case you can just CLEAR it and it will refresh from the EEPROM. I've consistently use a magnetic screwdriver for everything except Power supplies and monitors (for safety reasons) and I've never had a problem.

I have a magnitizer/demagnitizer. I purposely magnitize my screwdrivers before working on my PC, it's a lot easier than trying to hold it with your finger and dropping it under your motherboard. As others have said, hard drives are magnetically shielded, and unless you put an INSANELY strong electromagnet near them it won't have an effect.

-Excelsior

i've used magnetic screwdrivers before. even messed around on my hd with one and it still works to this day. can't say they have any bad effects on pc components

Back