• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

main cruncher dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, you got 1gig in that rig, test the sticks seperately with memtest86.com I'm guessing only one stick is dead.

Yodums

That was the first thing I tried. The computer is booting now, but only when the FSB is set to 100. It sucks to upgrade the proc and for now have it run slower than before. I'm wondering if it might be something with the voltage.

It sounds as though you have checked all the sticks separately..

Have you set all timings back to default for the tests as well?

How much voltage have you been pumping through the memory?

And there is always the second-to-last resort: clear cmos.

Yodums - I tested each stick separately and each one faulted out when Win XP was loading the Kernal or right after logon. I set the bios to thouroughly scan the memmory on boot and it never failed the tests.

rogerdugans - I reset the bios even before I started to yank the RAM. It was able to boot without the faults after that. I went into the bios and one of the default setting was for the FSB set to 100. I set it back up to 133 and the page faults started again. The voltages were all set to auto, spread spectrum was set to .25%, all the memory timing was set by SPD. I tried tweaking up the voltages to see if the new proc was needing more and that didn't change anything. I was gonna try to update the BIOS and see if there might be a fix in that as the revision is an older one.

Wish me luck

How about trying the ram in another mobo?
Make sure the sticks are NOT the problem that way.

One other thought: do you have room to dual boot? I am not a fan of WinXP, so I wonder if it might be corrupt.
A dual booted os would tell you that.

Good Luck

Good luck man: I think they are right, but I always grasp at every last straw until I have no options left.

Paid off twice so far, but......I've done it may times with no luck.

I had this problem when I first built my rig with Win XP. I kept getting all kinds of errors, blank screens, etc after installing Win XP at 133 FSB. The posts I read said this was a problem with the IWILL board I use and to set FSB to 100, reinstall windows, and then after successful install, jack the FSB up. I did this and it now runs fine at the OC level shown below.

Maybe this problem is not confined to Iwill and is what is happening to you. Before you RMA the board, try a reinstall at 100FSB first. You never know....

Good Luck.

Back