• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

so, i decided to upgrade my computer. now that mine is completely set up and working fine, i am giving my old computer to my younger sister. last week it would boot, and everything was working fine except the cdrom drive was dead, so i couldnt install windows. i ordered a cheap one from newegg, plugged it in, and now it will not boot. nothing happens. ill hit the power switch, the computer will turn on, mobo, HDD, vid fan, HSF, everything is spinning, but no beep....and no monitor activityy. the monitor does not even flicker when the computer is turned on. I have reseated EVERYTHING a thousand times and that does not do the trick. the vid card is a tight fit in the case i have it in, so i thought that might be the problem...but the fan is spinning. also, last week when it booted and beeped....the monitor was displaying the BIOS and everything...now all of a sudden the whole thing is practically dead.

im going insane....any ideas?!

Asus A7n8x
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
ATI Radeon 8500 LE 64MB
Seagate Barraccuda 80GB
Millenium Glaciator II HSF
2*256 Crucial DDR PC2700

everything was working fine before i upgraded....and was still working fine after i put it in a new case (except windows wasnt there since i formatted the drive), and all of a sudden it will not work.

thanks in advance!!

before i do that i just want to check to see if that could actually fix the problem. like i said, it booted into the BIOS last week, and now it wont - which makes me think its not grounding out. ive had this case/comptuer for a long time and never had any problems like this...can grounding out just come up over night?

Have you removed the cd-rom? You may have a bad drive. Also, you may have exceded the wattage of your power supply(or it just failed). Try removing both the CD and HDD and see if you can get a boot into BIOS.
Try connecting the power supply from your new PC to the old one. You don't even have to remove the PS, just put the two cases side by side and connect the motherboard connecter.

i have removed both the HDD and CDROM and still get nothing. ill check out the power supply...as that is the only thing i can think of now

Know Nuttin said:
take it out of the case and build it on a non-conductive surface. it could be grounding out inside the case.

Know Nuttin knows something. This has happened to me before. Everything was in correctly in my case, i checked everything a million times, so finally i build it out of the case. Just took the mobo and the psu out of the case and it started up fine. I didn't put the spacers between the case and the mobo so it shorted itself out. :rolleyes:
I'm just glad I didn't fry anything and the computer works fine now.

im positive i have the spacer things in there, but ill check it out tomorrow. the only thing that i find weird is that it booted into the BIOS a few days ago, now it wont. Ill keep you updated though - thanks

so i took it out, and got it to boot to the BIOS once. i had forgotten to connect the HDD and CDROM to the mobo, so i shut it off, did that, and it would not boot. i disconnected both of them, and it would not boot.

WTF?!?!

anyone have ANY ideas as to whats going on? the parts should all be working fine, unless they got damaged siting in their boxes for a week

Back