• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chayos00

I'm honestly not sure if its my board or the HD. But what I have is the Asus KV8 Deluxe MB. Plus I have a Maxtor 80G SATA HD. The MB has two raid/sata chipsets to use there is a VIA one and a Promise Fastrack, the HD isn't recognised on the VIA one anymore. I know its not my settings because one day the computer crased and windows wouldn't boot and then it wouldn't recognise the drive, I checked the settings and they are what they should be. So I've swapped the drive to the Promise Fastrack controller, it recognises the drive. So after like 4-5 different format/installing windows. I'm still having problems, the computer freezes when I get into windows, but I'm able to get the computer to work with an IDE drive.

This morning when booting up with the SATA HD it said something about an I/O error, that only happened once, but I got the blue screen of death like four time trying to get it to boot up. I was able to get it to work in safe mode. Then it worked after regular boot up.

After I get my old computer up and running I'm gonna run Maxtor's Powermax HD diagnostic program. I started to run it once but it took forever to do the indepth scan so I'll do that tonight to see what it tells me about the HD.

Does anyone have any idea's cuz I'm wanting to RMA the board and the HD back to Newegg.com. Just let me know if ya need more info about this pain in my a$$!

Thanks in advance

Jason

I just did another clean install just for ****s and giggles maybe the dozenth time will be a charm. But I shall see.

RMA both asap dont try and fix them because it could kick u in the but 4 months down the road send them of as i tiep !!!
junk is junk get rid of it before your stuck with it

That's what I'm thinking. So far no problems with the comp. Been running for 7hrs. no malfunctions. But I probably should RMA the board. But atleast through newegg I got the extended warranty. So whatever the manufactures warranty plus another year with newegg.

Well last night I shut down the computer and guess what this morning it did it again. Plus I heard the sound of some drive clicking when that happened. I don't know, should I RMA both the drive and the MB or just the MB??

Thanks Jason

If the drive was clicking, then it is for sure a bad drive. It may have been your problem all along. This is called the COD or Click of Death.

MB

Well I'm gonna RMA the MB, I'll see what the guy at newegg will do with the HD as well.

Do you think that I should stick with the same MB or go with the ABIT KV8 Max3 board?

mb

What MB do yall think that I should go with to get a better overclock than 20 mhz on the FSB? I've seen one where the FSB was 330mhz on an AMD 64 board. But I don't remember what the board was. I still want to use the onboard SATA controllers if that is possible. I use a ATI 9800 Pro card. I know I probably need a nforce board with the PCI/AGP lock. Could someone give me a suggestion as to what board I need.

Back