• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make Old Monitor Usable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkWhite

Because of my circumstances (15 year-old minus part-time job) I'm using a crappy Samsung Syncmaster Monitor, which is not a major issue as it work ok, looks decent for games and such, but I occasionally have some issues with text.
It happens mostly with white text on darker colours, and basically the text is shown 3 times in 3 different places. This also happens with my cursor, though that isn't an issue because it's easy to discern.
Does anyone here know of a way to fix this?

have you tried a different cable? Different refresh rate? Are you on VGA? Have you adjusted the pitch to try to phase this out?

Does it happen at all resolutions?

It happens on all resolutions, cable is hardwired into the monitor, yes it's VGA (were talking about a 15-year old monitor here)
Not sure exactly what you're saying about pitch.

i have seen this on monitors before, even on new ones, but havent been able to find a fix, i one fixed one by hitting it:)

I'd try adjusting all of the settings - even if they don't fix the problem you can get everything else set ideally for your resolution. And yeah... the professionals approach would be hitting it :D Never had that fix this exact problem but it has fixed a few for me on some old TVs and computer monitors.

@ocnoob, what else would he sensibly be running other than VGA?

Look in craigslist for a 5 dollar CRT monitor. You are bound to find one, as people save on disposal if they can give it to someone else instead. You might even find some in the free section of the site. You can also call around the thrift stores, visit a school auction, or hit up small business computer repair shops.

Also, avoid the ones that have "Windows 95" burned into it due to that desktop background that shipped with W95.

There isn't much on either craigslist or kijiji that is within my rane as my parents won't drive me to meet wioth some random dude whos selling stuff.
I did just remember that I have another old CRT monitor in my Room, I'll swap that out later.

Back