• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon SIII:April, 3DMark03

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thank you guys for addition knowledge on cooling. I did some dice again last night (some much easier leaving it in cooler) and was able to get around -5c. I didn't have much and thought I was done when the temps went back up. I got up this morning to turn on the PC and it shut right back down. I looked for the cause and found I still had a small block of dice on the rad, that completely froze the coolant inside. I had to spend 8-10 minutes defrosting the rad :facepalm: I think next time, I will try the ice water. From my knowledge : If you add salt to the ice water, the salt allows the ice to get to a lower temp before melting. Is salt bad for your rad???
I'm running a XFX and a Sapphire reference 290X and they can get hot fast. When benching like you guys with 290x's, mine hit 30-33c, and start throttling. This also does not allow much headroom for my CPU.

If you guys don't mined me being in this thread, I might not be part of the team yet, but I do love the conversations:) Here's my run with 03, I had to keep the CPU low so that the 290x would not throttle as bad.

3D Mark 03 Benchrun #1.jpg

Thank You For Your Time
And Knowledge

Don't use salt, it will tear up your rad
Not sure I understand the capacity that you are using DICE ?

Are you just throwing it in a bucket, or do you have a pot ?
if in a bucket what are you activating it with ?
Acetone would not be very good for a rad either ....

On another note, CPU should be max here, 3D clocks are secondary,
use the 13.11 beta or the 13.12 and 5 lod

good luck and welcome to the team Madd

Is there a way to check how many posts you have submitted????
I was able to get 1 run of 3D Mark Vantage before I lost my cooling. I got a score of 33253 @ 5Ghz on 1 290X without to much throttling. The card stayed around 22-24c.

Thank You For Your Time
And Any helpful Knowledge

First time with dice. I placed the rad in the cooler and then the dice on top. I covered the cooler with several towels to hold in the cold. I did not use a activator, which is why I'm looking at ice water for my next try.

Not sure any knowledge I have is helpful .... :rofl:

As far as how many posts you have ? i have no idea where that would be ?

I would not worry about it , you will have enough posts sooner or later , not a big deal

the driver you have is better for Vantage, thought we were talking about 03

Edit:

Yes you would be better off with plain ice water
If you go DICE grab a pot and do it up right :thup:

Last edited:

Are you referring to the 12.14 Omega drivers, that are known to be handy capped in OpenCL????

Are you referring to the 12.14 Omega drivers, that are known to be handy capped in OpenCL????

I am not referring to anything other than the 13.11 or 13.12 will do better in 03
Not really up on AMD drivers TBH as I have to fight every time just to get them to work .... lol

Not sure any knowledge I have is helpful .... :rofl:

As far as how many posts you have ? i have no idea where that would be ?

I would not worry about it , you will have enough posts sooner or later , not a big deal

the driver you have is better for Vantage, thought we were talking about 03

Edit:

Yes you would be better off with plain ice water
If you go DICE grab a pot and do it up right :thup:

:facepalm: I had just upgraded from 14.9, that has better performance in OpenCL like in Folding At Home. I was trying to raise my Catzilla score from the last Comp.

We are still on '03 but it is more CPU dependent ( IE, I LOVE INTEL) so my AMD falls short in that area:(

If My Wife lets me have another build before this one dies, I will definitely be looking at slapping a pot on it.

I think I can shed some light on this. Mandrake(I believe) had mentioned using dice on his rads. Difference is he runs antifreeze in his lines. This is what Johan and I do as well when hanging or rads out of the window in the winter. (Free ice water).

I have experimented with salt water and I was able to get to around -20c before it froze. That was with about 20% salt ratio (very hight). I never actually ran salt water through my lines as it was suggested to me to try antifreeze. I've had that down to about -15c but wasn't able to go colder as it was a mild winter here in michigan.

Anyhow, the short story MM is you should look into running a 50/50 mix of glycol and water if you're looking make a hybrid water loop with DICE.

Good luck.

didn't know you could adjust LOD on radeon cards ...... gotta look into this. Thanks.

No windows snipping tool in Win8?
It will be included in the next Windows release. So that you have to pay more money for a program that should have been/or was in Windows.

The word right now, is HWbot will not accept scores from Win 8/8.1, Win Server 2012, and Win 10.

Thank You For Your Time

I think I can shed some light on this. Mandrake(I believe) had mentioned using dice on his rads. Difference is he runs antifreeze in his lines. This is what Johan and I do as well when hanging or rads out of the window in the winter. (Free ice water).

I have experimented with salt water and I was able to get to around -20c before it froze. That was with about 20% salt ratio (very hight). I never actually ran salt water through my lines as it was suggested to me to try antifreeze. I've had that down to about -15c but wasn't able to go colder as it was a mild winter here in michigan.

Anyhow, the short story MM is you should look into running a 50/50 mix of glycol and water if you're looking make a hybrid water loop with DICE.

Good luck.

I was looking at pulling one of my coleman or igloo coolers out of the garage ( Will have to go do it anyway before summer). Dump a bunch of ice in it, place the rad underneath layers of ice, and then pour in a gallon ( 4 Liters) of distilled water. Ice is a lot cheaper than Dice and when a small amount of salt is add to the ice water, it allows the ice to drop several degrees below it's melting point.

We need two more categorizes: Gpu: any GPU no more than 4 cards :D
Hint, hint Johan45 :clap:

Which categorizes??? I have 5 R9 280X's attached to a UD7 that I fold with. 1 Sapphire Dual X, Sapphire Toxic OC, HIS iceQ2 Boost, and 2 ASUS DCII TOP editions.

Coudn't hurt to do a run that way just to see what he comes up with... Not that it would be valid for the comp you know.

Back