• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon SIII: January, Aquamark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the 2x240 would do you fine bassnut unless that doesn't fit with the plan. These don't need to run 5.0 24/7

I'm not going into this with any pre conceived notion of speed, I'm just looking to be prepared. Anyways not looking to order today but thinking ahead a bit but in all likelihood you will see a couple UT60's or something similar in the not to distant future....... also thinking ahead to the 2011 if I decide to go there down the line, yup still unsure.

You'd definately want the cooling if you did, from what I see they are some hot running mofos

A quick question for you guys..... what kinda cooling are most using for their 4770k chips. just ordered my CPU block and was wondering about rads...... what I have now is primarily just put together from spare parts Black Ice 240 stealth and an old 240 swiftech both are slim rads.

To answer this question for benching, the old hang the radiator out the window trick. To run 5.1 on mine I need the water at, at least -6 C or it just locks up.

Are you adding glycol so it does not freeze ?

Yep, Manny and I do the same thing with about a 50/50 mix. I started a little lighter initially but had a couple freeze ups along the way.

Yep that's what I was using this weekend.

don't add this QuickFast|hd4890| 1|stock|411425

been going cazzy all day trying to get the pll fix to work

screen000.jpg

when i mean trying to get pll fix to work -every bios i tried don't seam to work

Last edited:
Make that new 4790 squeal E_D. How's it workin for you BTW.
5ghz 1.47v on 19c ambient. Not bad. It didn't like 5.2ghz @ 1.5v though with same ambient. A bit o cold and I bet 5.2-5.3 is in the cards though. Maybe with those clocks I can break 460k...

Rip it up Joe :thup:

Hey I am not in last place :chair:

Question, is their two categories that will be awarded, or just one ?

Dr. McCoy / AMD 6870 / single / GPU-Air / CPU-Water / 401032
OCF Aquamark.jpg

Yep - Gonna have to freeze it to do better.

Are you adding glycol so it does not freeze ?

If you have high performance pump then it won't freeze too. I used to test on really large ice cubes before I got ss. I mean like 2-4kg ( 4-8 lbs if I'm counting good ) into large bucket and not much water so it won't melt so fast. I was using Hydor 1200 l/m pump. Old and noisy but was good.
Good water cooling has higher thermal capacity than SS so it's for sure better for FX CPUs and some graphics cards. When I was benching FX @1.55V+ then under load I had water on the board. It was constantly above 0*C during any tests and in idle was dropping not much below 0.

Cold ambient (-2C) didn't help.. WTH?! I got to 5.2Ghz at 1.57v but I wasn't getting any better scores. Lowered to 5.1 same settings, nada. Chip does OK under ambient. 5Ghz isn't anything to shake a stick at, but I was hoping for at least better scores at 5.2Ghz. Oh well.

Cold ambient (-2C) didn't help.. WTH?! I got to 5.2Ghz at 1.57v but I wasn't getting any better scores. Lowered to 5.1 same settings, nada. Chip does OK under ambient. 5Ghz isn't anything to shake a stick at, but I was hoping for at least better scores at 5.2Ghz. Oh well.
Really, no difference 100 and 200 Mhz higher? That is surprising maybe you were right on the edge of stability for the runs, ED?

It's weird, usually every MHz on CPU is giving visible improvement in AM3. AM3 is like it passes or it crashes. I haven't noticed any performance drop due to instability but who knows. I usually bench it at the edge of stability.

Also good morning all who wake up at 4am :D ... at least when I'm at work then I see some movement on the forums ;)

Back