• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Payne 3!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Ever timely... Rockstar announces Max Payne 3 for March 2012:

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/agegate/ref/?redirect=

The original Max Payne was so far ahead of its time that nobody knew how to take it. But every shooter that followed... from Halos to Gears to Killzone.. to everything else... owes it a ridiculously huge debt.

Max Payne 3 was actually supposed to come out a long time ago. But just like that Splinter Cell game... it ran into trouble. But apparently their back on track. Maybe he's bald... maybe he ISN'T bald... the marketers don't know for sure.

But I'm sure it will be awesome, and no one will care about it because no one even cared about the second one, and I can't even PLAY the damned thing because I still have to kill the last boss of Part 1 and THEN play all the way through part 2.

Who said life was fair?

Sweet! I still remember thinking how beautiful the first one looked when it came out. And the Bullet Time concept? Brilliant!

The first Max Payne story was absolutely compelling, I would love a re release with updated Graphics. Its the only thing that keeps from playing it again, it's really hard to look at.

I can still hear the dialogue of the characters in my head after many years. I may be the only one who liked the movie as well.:p

Looking forward to 2012!

System Requirements:

Operating System:
Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3

Processor:
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ – i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ – FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:
2GB – 16GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA 8600 GT 512MB VRAM – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM – Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM

Sound Card:
100% Direct X 9.0 compatible – Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live

HDD Space:
35 GB

Will support full DX11 features and "Advanced Tesselation" whatever that means...Looking at the latest screenshots it seems like it will be a great looking game, I can't wait to see it in motion for PC.

^^^ Crikey, he's aged a bit! Reckon he can keep up like he used to?

The first Max Payne story was absolutely compelling, I would love a re release with updated Graphics. Its the only thing that keeps from playing it again, it's really hard to look at.

I can still hear the dialogue of the characters in my head after many years. I may be the only one who liked the movie as well.:p

Looking forward to 2012!

Nah, I loved the movie, just like I loved the Hitman movie. Cool as..... My housemates also loved both movies despite them barely knowing how to turn a computer on :p

can't wait for this game, the other 2 were awesome and with modern graphics tech but same exact gameplay it can't go wrong.

Pretty excited for this, I wish the pre-order price was lower rather than giving me MP1 an 2.

so any personal reviews of the game yet?

I would love to be playing it atm but I am waiting for the PC version :(

Personally I have read 2 types of reviews...people expecting GTA w/ bullet time :rolleyes: and true fans which appreciate the storytelling and narrative.

Last edited:
so any personal reviews of the game yet?

I'm only like three levels in, but here is what I think so far...

The game is really good, I was kind wondering how Rockstar would be able to pull off a linear game, something out of their style, and they did a damn good job.

Storytelling, obviously, is really good, it's Rockstar we're talking about here. The voice acting is excellent, as expected (once again, we're talking about a Rockstar game). The graphics are also very good.

And I know there's some fans of the original MP games that might be worried, so let me squash your worries: Max Payne 3 is darker, more violent and way more heavy hitting than the first 2. Don't be worried just because Max wears Hawaiian shirts and there is some daylight in the game.

Bullet Time works very well, as does the shoot-dodge, but with shoot-dodge you need to be very careful. Once the animation ends Max will land on the ground (it's pretty cool, he can roll around 360 degrees while laying on the floor) which will leave you exposed.

Lastly, let me just say: THIS GAME IS BRUTAL! You will get your butt kicked on Medium difficulty. There is no regenerating health, you use painkillers, which need to be used sparingly. Also, bullets come in moderation. When you get a gun, you need to use it wisely.

The AI in this game is THE BEST AI I have ever seen in a game, really. These guys will flank, use tactics and other things to get you out of hiding. I've been killed numerous times while two or three guys shoot at me while I'm behind cover, suppressing me, while a fourth guy I don't notice flanks and kills me. You lean out to shoot one guy in the open and he'll hide back behind the wall while two guys on the other side lean out and try to suppress you. They'll also try to pin you in a corner, constantly suppressing for each other with one or two guys advancing up closer to your spot. Especially the military characters, they are tough to kill due to their kevlar armor and they use some ridiculous tactics, like I said the AI is the best I've ever seen.

If you're a Max Payne fan, get this game. If you're a shooter fan, get this game. If you like great storytelling, get this game. If you like games, GET THIS DAMN GAME!!! :)

Back