• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max temp. for gtx 470 chip when heating with heatgun

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltake

Registered
Hi I got trouble with balls under the chip on my gtx 470 and when I heat with heatgun she is working for some time (month or so) I circle about minute with heatgun over a chip for about a minute with level 1 temp on my heatgun that is 350C situation is like that I don't have any IR termometer or something like that to mesure temp. so I do circles about minute but I don't know if thats enough, I don't want to damage gpu becouse I don't know how much heat he can handle, also I don't know if minute is enough to do 220C to solder the balls under chip.

I would verify that temp.
Unless it's on fire, it isn't that hot.

I would verify that temp.
Unless it's on fire, it isn't that hot.

I can't verify temp. becouse I don't have any tools for that. After one minute I can sense the smell but I don't know if thats a foil or balls are starting to solder and they smell.

I was just asking for some personal experience if someone did things like that with heatgun on first speed of 350C that is coming from him so he could tell me how long did it take for him to reach that 220C when balls solder if he measure with IR thermometer or with some temp. measuring tool. And from that information I would know how approximately would I have to heat the gpu.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do? "balls solder"? Are you trying to bake the card circuitry by using a heat gun instead of an oven? Are you trying to solder the heatsink to the GPU die? Your post is not clear to me.

What are you trying to do? "balls solder"? Are you trying to bake the card circuitry by using a heat gun instead of an oven? Are you trying to solder the heatsink to the GPU die? Your post is not clear to me.

I am heating the GPU chip becouse probably some balls did not attach good to the chip or PCB so when I heat them up she is working for like a month and problem starts again I know it clearly needs a reball but I don't have money for that at the moment and I won't have so soon. I don't have IR thermometer so I don't know if I reach that breaking point 220C when using 350C on heatgun. I don't need to use oven becouse oven heats graphic card completely, and I don't need that, I just need to heat GPU chip and I do that with heatgun just don't know if I heat him enough. It would be cool if someone mesure with IR thermometer his heating to tell me how long did it take him with 350C heatgun to reach breaking point of balls so I could know the proper time.

My resaults are when I heat 40 seconds she is working for like 10min, and after that won't enter OS but I see Bios and win logo, and when I heat for minute and 5 seconds she is working like a charm now for 4 days, and I'm killing her with Furmark and GTA V and she is still good. I mean I would heat her for minute and a half but I read somewhere that you can damage the chip and that's what I'm afraid of and that's the main reason why I asked this question so I don't damage him by overheating it.

Last edited:
You may want to try this, as was posted in the last thread you started about this.

All 35 pages ha, thanks, but no oven as I said only heatgun.

You WILL kill it with Furmark.
Don't run that.

Why would I kill her with Furmark I didn't put her half day on it just like 10 minutes, but I played GTA V for like 3-4 hours and everything is okay for now.

The 470 is a rather old card by now and not worth repairing beyond simple DIY reflowing. I suggest forcing the fan speed to full (either with software or by cutting the speed control wire) in order to try to make it last a little longer. (The fan won't last all that long if it ran full speed all the time, but unless it's already on the edge, it would probably outlast the card.)

Any particular reason you won't put it in the oven? You're running a much higher chance of melting stuff with a heat gun

The 470 is a rather old card by now and not worth repairing beyond simple DIY reflowing. I suggest forcing the fan speed to full (either with software or by cutting the speed control wire) in order to try to make it last a little longer. (The fan won't last all that long if it ran full speed all the time, but unless it's already on the edge, it would probably outlast the card.)

I know it's old, but it's still good no doubt. It doesn't matter if I force fan to run at full speed becouse when I put it on 75% in game temp. don't pass 72C and that's super temp. for turbine cooler. But with that temp. she also break after month or so, so it doesn't matter if fan is on auto. or I put it manually 75% in afterburner.

Any particular reason you won't put it in the oven? You're running a much higher chance of melting stuff with a heat gun

I simply don't want to put components in my oven thats it. I bake already various gpu's with heatgun and I never melt anything I'm handy so no problem with that.

I bake already various gpu's with heatgun and I never melt anything I'm handy so no problem with that.

Then whats your question? Point and shoot, and hopefully you dont melt anything important. Being a heat gun, you pretty much have no control over the temperature of the board. Hot spots are going to happen, solder will potentially melt or it may not in some places, the whole process with a heatgun is horribly inaccurate, but since you're adamant about doing it that way then you're pretty much the master of your domain here.

you can get a 20$ toaster oven for this and put it in your garage if you have one. I'd trust that more than my own ability to keep the heatgun moving at a constant velocity at a constant distance while being accurate to hit everything intended.

Then whats your question? Point and shoot, and hopefully you dont melt anything important. Being a heat gun, you pretty much have no control over the temperature of the board. Hot spots are going to happen, solder will potentially melt or it may not in some places, the whole process with a heatgun is horribly inaccurate, but since you're adamant about doing it that way then you're pretty much the master of your domain here.

you can get a 20$ toaster oven for this and put it in your garage if you have one. I'd trust that more than my own ability to keep the heatgun moving at a constant velocity at a constant distance while being accurate to hit everything intended.

I get what you sayin' If I heat the whole GPU of GTX 470 and that chip is big that whole metal is heated so I think all balls melted like they should probably, but some of them are damaged or something so oven, heatgun or whatever won't help permanently just reball in my opinion. I never heard of toaster thing only oven that people use for some components.

Last edited:
I get what you sayin' If I heat the whole GPU of GTX 470 and that chip is big that whole metal is heated so I think all balls melted like they should probably, but some of them are damaged or something so oven, heatgun or whatever won't help permanently just reball in my opinion. I never heard of toaster thing only oven that people use for some components.

I'm just assuming you're concern is using your kitchen oven to bake electronics? Toaster ovens can get really hot and would be more even and thorough than a heat gun. Craigslist sells em dirt cheap too. Just an option for the future is all.

Great balls of solder! Never heard it put that way. So OP is just trying to make the integrated circuitry fluid so that it might rebond.

Not much point getting a 470 professionally reworked. Just get a new GPU when the DIY trick doesn't work anymore.

If I fix her and sell It will still be some $ instead of nothing, and I'm not that good with money :(

Then use the DIY trick to get it working and then sell it. But I wouldn't expect such an old GPU to sell for very much.

Back