• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mcafee killed my windows defender, grrr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

not long since reinstalled my laptop that has no install disk... great!

bundled with the junkwear is mcafee and it totally trashes windows defender.

cant re init defender manually because of error 557 and the fact the registry strings have vanished so no changing them 0 to 1 :rain:

also found some leftover mcafee junk in the registry :-/

so now my integrated defender in windows 8.1 is shafted and there`s no reinstall due to the fact its integrated into the OS :rain:

so screw you windows... you corporate *****s!

And screw off the shelf laptops... filled with junkwear. like a computer for retards mostly.

trying to exploit the uniformed users into buying more software they don't need...

And where is the incentive to buy a legitimate OS with all these scheming problems thrown in... exactly :rolleyes:

The only way to get a machine run properly if its preinstalled is to format the whole thing and find a OS image anyway.

I`ve opted for a third party free anti virus... windows built in crap is the first people write virus and malware to defeat by default anyway. lol

Its about time companies were forced to supply the OS disc in original format (no third party crap) for the machines they sell. so us tech savy people don't need to resort to some `hack now` action.

My terms and conditions with Microsoft are... you don't allow these backhand deals and I`ll buy your next OS... yeah right... OK I`ll have a free OS then. :rofl:

Or sell me an OS minus my time and money for fixing it after... which at this point means they owe me £80 lol

Tired of the scams...

"here try Mcafee its already installed... oh, your computers buggered without it? well buy mcafee... it only costs as much as your OS anyway, bargain!" derp, no thanks!

This is why I just put Ubuntu on my laptop and call it done.

Can't remember the name, but there is a free piece of software that removes the bloat from OEM windows installs. M$ has nothing to do with your non-standard laptop windows install, take out the hate on the OEM. It's them that creates their sysprepped image with all the junk pre-loaded.

Just suppose Microsoft stated in there OEM rights that they had to leave the OS in basic working order and offer the bloat in a format we can choose not to go near... would make my day.

Fair to say that Microsoft write for Intel chipsets foremost and who owns mcafee? intel.

I`ve purged all the crap off the OS now anyway but crappy defender will never work again. seems on investigation that since MS eased off on monopolising the use of defender (which is a poor protection anyhow) then any antivirus AVG.. etc etc messes it up on win8 with little suggestion or interest from MS to sort the bugs out.

I`m more angered towards MS for not stating OEM rights should be forced to supply a genuine copy of windows. let them bill asus etc and shove the premium onto the user... it would still work out cheaper buying an OEM version without the fancy packaging than a pretty boxed OS anyway.

All bloat wear is junk. they try to entice us to use it on trial periods in an effort to market and get the pay out from users. They can cram as much bloat on as they like for me if its free. lol

with all these alternate OS available and most people having enough power in a tablet they've little hope of pushing software from companies that cost a fortune and charging a ton of cash for windows given most games are written for consoles these days.

I don't know... would I like Mcafee? nope I`ll have a free antivirus... would I like power DVD? nope I have a registered copy and its crap I use VLC. lol
with so many free alternatives around you wonder why they sit in the office eating twinkies and rubbing their buddah belly while they sign off deals to do each other a favour.

And now branded android devices are getting just as in yer face with adverts and bloat. I dread each time they update my sony devices... latest is when I take a picture I cant just get on with my intentions... oh no... now I have to tell it to sod off so I don't have to upload it to a cloud server. I`m ok cheers... if its so great I`ll just email it to myself and every device has a copy anyhow at will. lol

Had enough of all this techno in yer face consume/advert pushing... I`m off to hug a tree... If I can find one. lol

I was looking at the stats for attention spans from online data yesterday... humans are like goldfish now. nobody actually reads anything in full. 50% find online info then immediately bounce. another 35% don't scroll down a page they just off reposting saying "this is a great article... haven't read it though. chirp... facefriend..." lol

Now where`s the last of the trees at... I want a captive audience with as much opinion as two short planks. lol

I have no anti virus, and my systems run great! No virus in years. No malware, as long as your awake when doing stuff, your just fine!

Mcafee is pile of crap. I use AVG when i do use antivirus, and as far as malware, just stop clicking next next next and READ what is says, and what you agree to! I learnt this the hardware a few times, now, i read it slowly, for god sake, even JAVA has stupid crap in it that it installs if you dont untick the box, which i think is 100% bulls, since its forced upon all users.

^^^nah, that's an unrealistic view. use a few proxy or take a trip on a tor browser and you get pop ups and unders... page redirectors etc etc.
clicking go all the time doesn't pick up pup`s, malware and viruses. simply being their earns them :D

And just being unaware flying with your pants down doesn't mean you don't have any pup`s

you forgot email and flash player as fun ways to get viruses too. :)

depends on your browsing habbits. me I love the gutter... I think its having a page framed in boobs that does it for me :rofl:

EDIT: even a safe site can be compromised OCF has no say in the adverts plonked on this site. then there`s tracking from companies.

heres my list after just three clicks on this site :-

social networks - linkedin, facebook, twitter.

Ad tracking - doubleclick, google adsense

Web analytics - google analytics.

^^^If compromised with some shady adverts here those relatively benign tracking systems could be any host of horrors.

Last edited:
Im sorry to tell you that ad block plus takes care of most of that bullcrap. At work, i have antivirus and malware and everything, and also ad block plus and so on. No virus, no malware, and yes, i do at times visit sites that should not be visited. (Last time we had a major virus attack at work, was due to a guy using internet explorer and clicking all sorts of dumb crap)

I use to have all those anti virus and malware and everything, but since i started browsing with my head, and ad block plus, nothing. Honestly nothing. Even my dad who hits some really bad sites is dodging all this stuff.

My brother in law set up my dads pc to start with (dont know why) but soon after it was infected head to toe.

I formatted, reinstalled, and did it my way, and my dad is now on his 2nd year of no attacks, and i even check his pc once in while to make sure. My dad visits the most dodgy crap i have ever come across.

So all i can tell you is, some how im avoiding them, but maybe you do alot more dodgy things online than i do?

I see your point with an ad blocker. I was just comparing activity on sites and a proxy that normally bombards my pc had no hits with a blocker.

And yes I've been right into the bottom of gutter surfing ��
Studying data forensics and counter measures. When you're diving into hacker central you get all the latest and greatest hits. Lol

It is a genuine quest for research. Supposed to submit a proposal for law enforcement. (once I've secured my intellectual rights... Bunch of crooks) :rofl:

Cyber crimes against people grinds my gears... Corporate frauds fine with me though. Lol

Back