• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP35X Water pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi, I just have a quick question today. The sys. in my sig. has been up & running for about 2 months. I have the MCP35X mounted directly to a swiftech Maelstrom res. When I power up, the pump doesn't always start up at the same point during the boot process.

Would this be considered normal? Thanks Dan

1. Has this behavior been since day 1?
2. What type of and what header (CPU,SYS, etc) is the pump plugged into (I can't recall if its 3/4 pin or molex).

1. Has this behavior been since day 1?
2. What type of and what header (CPU,SYS, etc) is the pump plugged into (I can't recall if its 3/4 pin or molex).
yes sorry I didn't give enough info.
This has been going on since day one & I really didn't think too much about it.

The power for the pump comes right from a molex from the PS. I then run the pwm connector off of the CPU OPT fan header.

So the CPU OPT header is what controls the pump speed I assume? Assuming that is correct, what is the CPU OPT set at? By temp? By %?

See where I am going here? That is where I would look. :)

So the CPU OPT header is what controls the pump speed I assume? Assuming that is correct, what is the CPU OPT set at? By temp? By %?

See where I am going here? That is where I would look. :)
Yes CPU OPT controls the speed
I have it dialed back a lot for normal operation. HWMonitor registers it at 1800 rpm for normal. I have it set to start ramping up at 40c socket temp.

Wait, you have the PUMP increasing speeds as temps go up??? You really should have the FANS on your rad increase speeds. Once you hit 1-1.5GPM flow rate, there are little gains to be had. I would put the speed flat at say 30% on the pump (to get your 1.5GPM flow rate), and have the fans ramp up with temperatures. ;)

Wait, you have the PUMP increasing speeds as temps go up??? You really should have the FANS on your rad increase speeds. Once you hit 1-1.5GPM flow rate, there are little gains to be had. I would put the speed flat at say 30% on the pump (to get your 1.5GPM flow rate), and have the fans ramp up with temperatures. ;)
The way I have it set up the rad. fans & the pump both increase as the temps go up.
Not right???
For the low setting of the pump at this time it is set for 40% which gives me the 1800 rpm for normal operation.

That is what I essentially said, yep! :)

According to that link, to get 1.5GPM flow, you need to be around 30-40%... which you are. I would not have the pump increase as there is almost no point in doing so, just increased noise. Just have the fans ramp up with temps. ;)

That is what I essentially said, yep! :)

According to that link, to get 1.5GPM flow, you need to be around 30-40%... which you are. I would not have the pump increase as there is almost no point in doing so, just increased noise. Just have the fans ramp up with temps. ;)
O.K. great info. I will figure out how to just keep the pump at about what it is without increasing.

Now as for the pump starting up at different times. Would that possibly be due to the voltage supplied being low due to the low speed selected & it taking a little longer to get going?

Keep the pump at the same speed by setting that header manually or to a certain % (not sure what options your mobo has).

THat is possible, yes.

Back