• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media center psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

georanma

So, Im pretty sure my pos celeron media server box died. Ive been amasing new parts for a better one anyways. I just got a pentium d 820 from grumperfish (775). I picked up a 3870 about a week ago here. I have two gigs of corsair xms2 ddr2 800. I have a 1 tb caviar black that is either going in there or going to be swapped with my green power one. I also will probably run with an ide 80 gig drive or something to start with for OS. I plan to add atleast 1 more drive at some point and maybe bump up to an e7200 if I get a quad.

I just saw this psu, and Im almost wanting to jump on it. Is it gonna be the bees knees? If not, suggestions? I kinda want to stay in the 30 to 60 dollar range.

Its enough because its quality but if it was mine I'd be more comfortable with something bigger if you want to add more drives later. Perhaps an Antec Earthwatts 500w

i would not go below 400w, with onboard gpu maybe but not with dedicated.
it is a good deal thou
also, what version of media center software are you running? i had trouble with MS media center 05 and a second hdd. it always ended up recording to the primary drive and also had trouble seeing media on the secondary hdd

right now im running Ubuntu. Once I get this build, I will probably drop like SageTv or something of the like in with it. I really like running mt-daapd for my music shares.

thinking about grabbing up that enermax liberty 620 over in the classifieds. Is that a decent quality psu? I read a review or two that says its not bad, but the psu guide in stickies says they are average quality. The price is decent, but part of what has me weary is being used and if I can cash in on a warrenty if something happens.

either the ocz or the enermax would be a much better choice. neither is obviously the top of the line model of each brand but for the price they are good.
they are both 80 plus cert

enemax is a high quality psu but both psu's are overkill for the system you are bulding...

i usually put 400 watt antec psu's in htpc's since they are not power hungry systems...

Back