• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media Server Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I recently started working with a service called Plex, and I have to say it seems fantastic. It works on mobile devices as well as on the web and a free player for your computer (and app for consoles would be wonderful though). It gets the info on both movies and shows as well. I was thinking of just getting the lifetime membership ($74.99) but that is a huge investment (at least for me it is). So before I went ahead and did that I was wondering if anyone knew any other server software I should look into first? Obviouislly I am not afraid to drop some cash on this, but it has to be able to do the following:

• Stream to nearly any device (phone, tablet, tv, other pc's)
  • Support a variety of audio and video codecs
  • able to stream 1080p
  • be very user friendly in terms of video selection (the setup can be difficult, I can always learn how to do all of it)
  • managing meta data would be a huge plus as well

So anyone know of anything or do you think Plex will be as good as I can get?

What do you need the plexpass for? I use the free version with no problems right now.

I use xbmc for watching locally and plex for streaming.

Always get the latest releases, the sync is handy to have for when your offline, but most of all because that gives you access to multi-user support. Nice because my whole family uses it.

PS3 Media Server supports everything you listed, and you can create your own customized per renderer profiles. At face value it seems like it doesnt have that many options, but once you get into the config files and start creating renderer profiles it becomes extraordinarily powerful.

Back