• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Megahalems, mega 775, and 4 Ghz Stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

I owe my overclock to the new cooling solution so I am posting this here -

Here's my chronicle of my quest for a stable 4.0 Ghz do-everything rig.

I started with a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 & a 6600 Conroe last year, but all I could really get out of that was about 3.4 Ghz on air.

The cooler that I was using was quiet and inexpensive and did a relatively good job of keeping the Conroe at a stable temp in all the situations I put it in.

Well last month I read that Micro Center was having a sale on the Q9550 Quad Cores, and the best steppings were in stock too. So I thought I'd run over & see if they had one.

q9550.jpg

Well, they did - and with Windows 7 on the horizon and the ability to install and use more than 4 gb of ram I decided to pick one up and see what it would do in my mobo.

I got about 3.8 out of it but the temps were getting too high (approaching 70C) and 3.8 Ghz was the wall with the GA-965P-DS3 's chipset.

So I decided to upgrade my mobo (muhaha....)

And I went with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - wow what a nice piece of hardware!

So installed the mobo and the Q9550, then installed the Coolermaster with some AS-5.

I took it immediately ot 3.82 Ghz but the temp problems remained. So I lapped the cpu heatspreader and the base of the HSF to try to lower the temps some -

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=620578

lrjl.jpg

Well, that lowered the idle temps some but the loaded temps were still hitting 70C.

After researching the air coolers available I decided to go with a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B Heatpipe CPU Cooler from SVC -

http://www.svc.com/megahalems.html

The last time I had one of the "best" cpu coolers around was when I had a Thermalright SLK-900A on my overclocked Athlon XP 2500 Mobile, so I was really looking forward to getting it in the mail.

I picked up 2 120 X 25 mm Scythe Slip Stream 120 fans - 1200 rpm & low noise. My plan- one pushin' and one pullin' for quiet efficiency.

Here are the boxes -

img3941f.jpg

Everything out of the box - hardware, thermal interface material, HSF, and support plate -

img3943np.jpg

The heatsink fan itself- massive, well engineered and mega-mega -

img3944d.jpg

Here's the base, reflecting a coin - cupie doll to the member that can ID the coin -

img3946m.jpg

2 comparison shots of the Mega vs Coolermastrer -

img3947j.jpg

img3948y.jpg

And installed in my Antec 900 case -

img3949l.jpg

Close up HSF goodness -

img3950v.jpg

After getting it installed (it was very easy) I started the overclocking.

The Gskill memory has a stock voltage requirement of 2.0-2,1 volts, so I set that 2.08v as I was going to push it as well as the CPU & chipset with my 4 ghz demands. I kept the timings at 4-4-4-12 as well.

The EP45-UD3P set the vcore to 1.18750 volts, and with that set the system topped out at a stable 3.82 Ghz (8.5 X 450). Beyond that and things got unstable with BSODs and restarts, so I began to up the vcore.

With the overclock set to 4.0 ghz (8.5 X 471) I finally found the sweet spot for the vcore. I took my time increasing it it until I came to a "Prime Stable" state, and that voltage was 1.31250 volts - well below the max of 1.3625 recommended by Intel. -

So where will I go from here?

Well, up of course!

Last edited:
Also, both fans have 3 pin connectors and are running full speed of of the mobo headers (CPU & SYS 1)

wow that is nice!! 50c load@4ghz on a quad!

Yeah, and I'm not even pushing the Vcore to it's limit.

The E0 stepping is a great chip, and the new motherboard makes it happen.

But the Megahalems keeps it cool so well -

Last edited:
Yeah it kinda got my attention..

I might want one now :(

Can you run it at around 4.4?

Should need around 1.4v give or take :beer:

My e8600 needs 1.425 to do it, tho its an early es, so the volts may be applicable for your cpu :thup:

Edit:

Sorry for some reason I just thought you got that cpu recently heh..

Yeah it kinda got my attention..

I might want one now :(

Can you run it at around 4.4?

Should need around 1.4v give or take :beer:

My e8600 needs 1.425 to do it, tho its an early es, so the volts may be applicable for your cpu :thup:

Hmmm, I haven't pushed it that far.

Lemme see what I can get out of it (my 800 RAM may limit me)

After 2 days of running at 4.0 Ghz, my idle temps are 35/35/35/35.

idletemps.png

How sweet it is!

so those temps are with AS5? have you tried to see what the difference is with the prolimtech TIM that came with the megahelms? is supposed to be better than AS5. any chance you could try it out and post up results? i only ask because i just got my megahelms in and got some AS5 with it and im curious as to which one I should use. I would test it myself but dont have the rest of my parts for my build yet.

I'm using AS5 because I know it performs. I really don't want to tear into my rig to try out the TIm (mobo removal & such).

The cooling must benefit some benefits from what's practically a quad fan arangement :D Those case fans move out the hot air from the area pretty well I bet.

yeah, the Mega is exhausting directly into the rear 120 mm exhaust fan, and with the mombo top, 2 120 mm intakes, and 92 mm door fan (120 mm won't fit with the HSF) the case temps are probably very close to ambient.

And don't forget the PSU venting out at the bottom of the case -

Plus it's not a roasty toasty graphics card heating up the case. I bet the case temps are basically ambient, or at least the air gets refreshed well enough that it's near enough.

Back