• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory clock questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatb0y

Registered
So I over clocked my PC:

http://puu.sh/1tKVd

The memory I bought is rated at 1600mhz but in CPU-Z it shows that the individual memory sticks are at 10700h mhz?

http://puu.sh/1tKYm

is this normal?

If it isn't what can I do to make it normal? and I was also considering upgrading my memory, what speed rating should I be looking at or should I just get the best and most expensive that I can afford?

No the model number or rating of your memory, can't remember exact terminology, is pc3- 10700H running @ 667 MHz. Since it is DDR (DDR is an abbreviation for Double Data Rate) it would be 667 MHz X 2 = 1334 MHz. so you ram is running @ a speed of 1334 MHz. Look at the number in the parentheses () next to the 10700H and that gives you your speed in half. Multiply that number by 2 and you get your actual current speeds. If you ram is rated for 1600 MHz then you can still go higher.

Also the most expensive ram is not necessary. Read up on what your cpu can handle as far as maximum rated ram speeds and you can go as high as that. Now with that said, you are not going to notice the difference with crazy high ram speeds unless you benchmark your rig. DDR3 2000MHz is good. 1600 MHz like you have is not bad either in my opinion for everyday use and gaming. Don't waste your money on super high end ram unless you plan to benchmark and even then high priced ram does not necessarily mean better ram. When you do look at ram look and latency and timings. Lower latency and tighter timmings are better. example- 1600 MHz ram @ 9-9-9-24 latency and timings is better than similar 1600MHz ram @ (example not exact numbers) 9-10-9-24.

Well this is my Memory tab

http://puu.sh/1tM4C

Does this mean I am capped out? Since my DRAM frequency is already at 800MHz and that is what my memory is rated at? But then what is up with max bandwidth speed being at 667 MHz?

No that tab shows the specifications for your memory if it is set at it's highest speed. That tells you what your memory is capable of to it's max. The link you provided in you original post shows what your memory is currently running at. This link - http://puu.sh/1tKYm - is the tab you use to show what your ram is currently running at. keeping that tab in mind go back into the BIOS and reset your settings then open that tab back up and you will see it change.

The SPD or speed tab shows what your RAM is currently running @, the memory tab shows what your RAM's max speed can get to. Right now you are running @ 667 MHz or 1334 MHz since the 667 gets multiplied by 2 because it is DDR. (double data rate)

Oh I see, so how should I go about pushing my memory harder?

Right now, my base bus speed is at 100MHz with a 46x multiplier.

According to your memory tab, it is now running at 800mhz 9-9-9-24. So that is the spec rating that matches your SPD tab. You might get a little more but with DDR it is the safest setting, any more could cause errors in memory functions that might not be noticable until write corruption is evident. The tab you showed in post four is the accual speed it is at.

The memory tab shows what the ram can do not what it is at. The spd tab shows the current speed. The link in post 4 is the memory tab not the speed tab. Go by the spd tab to show current speed not the memory tab.

This is not correct. The term SPD stands for seriel presence detect, I had to look that up but the SPD tab shows the memory settings supplied by the manufacturer so that the motherboard bios can detect these settings and set the ram timings by them when auto is selected. This is the reason that usually more than one setting shows on the SPD tab.

The memory tab shows what the ram can do not what it is at. The spd tab shows the current speed. The link in post 4 is the memory tab not the speed tab. Go by the spd tab to show current speed not the memory tab.

Back