• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory for new build z97 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dralbert

Registered
Hi there, just been working out memory for my new build with will have a core 5 4670k and an asrock z97 extreme 4 mobo. I got spooked reading about people having incompatible memory, so I geeked out and trawled through the qvl list on the asrock website. It isnt exactly user friendly, so I had to copy and paste the model number for each memory module that was 2133 and 4GB. I narrowed it down by price to either:

1.G. Skill 2x4gb F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM Ripjaws x series at $84
2.Hyper X KHX2133C11D3W1K2/8GXat $96
3.Hyper X KHX21C11T2K2/8X at $102

The G.Skill has vastly more reviews and has a five out of five rating so seems the obvious choice.
1.Am I correct in thinking that?
2.Also, newegg says it voltage is 1.65 v, and it is on the asrock vendors list, so I guess it's ok, but I thought the 1150 boards couldn't handle more than 1.6v. Any ideas?
3.Also the mobo is socket 1150, I just checked, but newegg say under features of the G.skill:
Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD Llano/AM3+ platforms
Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Which doesn't make much sense to me unless newegg haven't updated their description in over a year.

Anyhow, any help will be gratefully received:)

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention a couple of things that might explain the higher speed. First i want to use the igp on my cpu, at least for a bit, and secondly i want to overclock my cpu. I've read that for igp and over clocking faster ram is a bonus.
The rest of my build includes a Samsung EVO 128gb ssd and an in win grone full tower case. Eventually i want to water cool. Cos it looks cool.

I know you don't have to, but after reading this guy say a mobo company asked him if his ram was qvl, and being difficult, i figured what the hell why not. It helped narrow down the choice which is a good thing for me. Just find it reassuring as well.

Thanks for that. Why the hell do they bother making qvl lists then?

Thanks for that. Why the hell do they bother making qvl lists then?

Those are just what the manufacturer had had test with that particular board. there is no way for them to test every ram kit in existence.

Thanks. And can you confirm to me that it's not worth getting quad channel mobo and ram?

I know that, but i haven't bought the mobo yet and i just wanted to confirm once and for all that dual channel makes sense for a budget low end gaming pc with 4670k with a plan to over clock in future.

In order to use quad channel memory you'd need a quad channel motherboard. Using all four dimm slots on the Z97 board will still only give you dual channel memory. I board that supports quad channel memory will get you into the X79 platform where CPUs are a ton more expensive, and a budget build isn't going to be a reality.

Another thing you may want to consider is getting the Devil's Canyon CPU for that Z97 board, same price as the one you looking at getting.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Thanks for that. Especially interested about the processor. I'll ask about the processor on the cpu forum.
Gratefully
Robin

If running on igpu, get 2133mhz ram. Contrary to what was stated above, there us good scaling using the igpu and faster ram.

As far as devil's canyon, for your uses, it's an improvement over the regular haswell. It has all the performance gains and none of the weaknesses (thermal paste in ihs). Get DC. ;)

Thanks! Can you expand on the paste issue or send a link to a good site. I've read on it but am still puzzled.
Thanks mate

Back