• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sydo

Hello everyone.

123.jpg

That is my setup.

But when i look at my Memory frequency it is at 1728MHz where as the ram is 1866MHz but the option is only available if i set CPU bus frequency to 200 instead of 216 (only 2 options i tried) What is best, to leave it as is or to change bus down to 200 and get 1866MHz? To get best performance ofc

IMAG0018.jpg
IMAG0019.jpg

DRAM Voltage is at 1.65v should i leave it at that or take it down to 1.5v? does it effect performance?

Hello again! Please create a signature with your complete system specifications so we know what you have. :)

As far as the ram voltage... no idea as I do not know what ram you have and if it requires 1.65v at 1866Mhz.

As far as memory speed, you have two choices, raise the bclk and lower the cpu multi to reach 1866, or set it back to 200Mhz and and up the memory speed OR run the XMP profile on the ram (all settings in the bios). As far as what is best, it is really a 6 of one, half dozen of the other (same) situation really. YOu are not losing any performance being a bit below its rated speed though so it is fine where it is honestly.

Oh I thought the top img showed all specs, i will change that, sorry for the inconvenience :)

I dont have XMP as an option only, Manual, AMP and D.O.C.P

my MB is asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0

Oh that is right, you have an AMD processor...(create that signature please!!!)

AMP is it, but... don't enable that AND overclock the HTT(200Mhz) as any raise in that value will overclock the memory as well.

Personally, I would leave it as is, or push that little bit higher to match ram speeds...

I'm not sure why you're trying to overclock that CPU with the BCLK instead of the Multiplier.

To be honest i just set it as the D.O.C.P put it, when i changed it to manual, what should i do to get it to about 4.1-2 ghz then? Change CPU buss frequency back to 200?

While you wait for spoon fed help, in my signature is a guide to overclocking AMD CPUs... check that out. It should help get some of the basics under your belt while you wait for others to chime in.

Yes, leave the BCLK at 200MHz, and OC the CPU with the CPU Multiplier.

Thanks again :)

Actually achieved a higher bench score with the few simple adjustments.

cpu is king of the hill, give up memory if you have to to get more from the cpu, from 1600 ram up to 1866 you dont really gain much.

we find that we get what we are going to get out of the ram at around 2000, but it only counts when we are benching.

Maximum memory clock available in most 990FX boards is 1866 as it's max official AMD FX clock. Above that you have to use bclk but I've noticed stability issues with some memory above ~225MHz bclk, especially with more than memory 2 modules.

Running 216bclk + max memory ratio you should have ~2000 memory clock. It doesn't change fact it's not really worth it and if you wish to raise memory performance then better try higher CPU-NB clock. CPU-NB is memory controller which is bottlenecking memory bandwidth that's why raising memory clock is not helping in performance and may only cause stability issues.

Simply leave bclk at 200, memory at 1866 , raise CPU-NB clock to ~2400 ( what shouldn't require higher voltages ) and go up with CPU clock.

I read that the optimal CPU/NP frequency for 4.2ghz is 2600MHz and that HT link speed should be at 2600MHz aswell, when putting those, the benching fails, that could be because of too low NP voltage? Which is at 1,100V on auto, as screenshot shows

Optimal CPU-NB could be even higher but it will lose stability above 2600. I suggested 2400 as it needs lower voltage and is almost always stable. Try higher CPU-NB voltage ( even up to 1.3V ) to stabilize clock. HT frequency is not really important but it's recommended to keep it close to CPU-NB clock.

While you wait for spoon fed help, in my signature is a guide to overclocking AMD CPUs... check that out. It should help get some of the basics under your belt while you wait for others to chime in.

Spoon fed help? It is my experience that if you are uncertain, you ask for help. This does not imply that i dont read things and try to figure it out my self. But i see no problem in asking. I am not sure what i have done to offend you which lead to a random attack, i dont see how that is not an insult.

Last edited:
Back