• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory OC corruption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hephy

I recently acquired a couple sticks of Corsair Vengeance to bump my system from 8GB to 16GB. They're rated on the box as 1866, but of course, just slotting them only got me 1333.

I have a Maximus IV Gene-Z (the micro because it amuses me to put a tiny board in full tower with giant heat sink), so I used the ROG BIOS tweaker and uh... changed the target clock speed.

As I'm sure those of you that know what you're doing know, it didn't work so easy. It didn't work at all. It cycled a few times in a failed boot before coming up with a OC failed screen and I started fiddling with a few other automagic settings, found one that worked, and got me a modest bump toward the marketing promise, and thought I was gold.

I was wrong.

Something terrible happened and my first clue was I no longer had internet because my computer no longer recognized it had a network adapter. My device manager is now consistently misidentifying my network adapter as an onboard video device without a driver. I've tried disable/enabling, uninstalling (and of course, Windows 7 re-installs it as broken within ten minutes), reloading pretty much every driver involved from basic chipset through netword adapter, and nothing corrects the issue.

I pulled out a USB wireless network adapter, and at first, that was misidentified in the same way, but eventually I got the right driver for it (helps to have multiple boxes) and now it's working fine--but I'd like to have my wired connection back.

Then, I discovered I've also lost my onboard sound. Again, reinstalling the drivers hasn't fixed anything.

Anyone have any idea what might have been corrupted and how?

If I can't fix it, I can still work around it. I have external audio devices that will almost certainly work given that my wireless network adapter works. But I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could get things to behave properly--just so I know I'm not working with a secretly kacked mobo.

Any ideas as to what the hell happened to me?

I don't see you mentioning it: did you try to reset the CMOS? Try at stock settings to see if the system is more stable. Have you tried the old memory you know worked?

The OS may be corrupted now, because of the unstable memory. If stock settings don't help, I'd try a fresh install of the OS. Always test your overclocks before using them.

yea, what he said.
but first step is a cmos reset, look in your manual...... then just boot it up and use it a little.

Back