• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Options....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Ok - Here is the skinny. I have a rig based on the Shuttle AN35N Ultra Mobo (nforce2 chipset). It has three DDR slots and can support up to DDR400. I am running a Barton 2500+ at stock speeds (333Mhz). The $64,000 question is which combination/set should I use in this rig?

1. 2 Sticks of 512MB Crucial DDR400 (PC3200) - 1 GB Total running in Dual Channel
  2. 2 Sticks of 256MB Corsair XMS DDR333 (PC2700) - 512MB Total
  3. A Combination of the Two Sets

Now, I currently have the rig running on the first option (1 GB of PC3200), but again, since I am not overclocking, and really don't do much of it, I am waisting the extra speed. I know the XMS brand memory modules are great for gaming, which is my main interest, but it would be only 512MB of it vs. 1GB. Also, if I combine the two, what combination would work best?

Your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

well if you combine them it will force the pc3200 to run at pc2700 speeds. I see no reason to do anything if you are not going to overclock.

flapperhead said:
if it works well what are ur reasons for changing ram?

Well, I am building a second rig that does not utilize Dual Channel, and operates on the Via KT266A chipset, and I want to use the "best" memory for my main rig, and leave the rest for this one.

Back