• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Requirements for X99 2011-V3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I'm looking to purchase a GOOD x99 (2011-V3) and need memory recommendations :)

I purchased a set of G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 for my i7-6700k build in 2016. The memory also gets used in my 1800x build in 2017. Both systems are Dual channel and IIRC the x99 is Quad channel.
Do I receive a performance penalty for running in Dual instead of Quad channel??
Can I just pick up another set of 3200 CL-14 memory for Quad?? OR
Do I need to purchase specific Quad channel memory??

Thank You For Your Time

Probably best if you get another set of quad channel but two sets of 3200 Cl14 would likely work without issue. X99 isn't known for ram speed either. 3400 is getting into the upper reaches

Performance hit of dual vs. quad channel depends on your workload and exact CPU. Basically, the more CPU, the more the ram can have an influence. If you don't need a huge amount of ram, just get a quad kit 4x4GB for example. Mixing ram could have potential problems like there may be with two mismatched sticks on dual channel.

I've now got 4 systems that take quad channel DDR4. All have quad kits. My X299 has G.Skill Ripjaws 4 3333 which I bought ages ago, running at 3200 due to multipliers and me not wanting to fiddle with bus clocks. My first X99 has Corsair LPX 2800 now running at 2666, again due to multipliers and bus speed limitations. It's stability was bad if I use any bus speed other than 100 regardless of ram strap. My latest X99 runs Corsair LPX 2133 as it has a Xeon so no ram OC anyway.

^ I don't even have a CPU for it yet :) That will come later..
What about these ES CPU's that are floating around. Would they work? and I have scene some outrageous OCs submitted with them.

Last edited:
Dual vs quad performance depends on the benchmark really. For our purposes, the cpu doesnt matter much as our benchmarks are not saturating ram bandwidth.

ES's will work. But like every cpu, results will vary.

^ I don't even have a CPU for it yet :) That will come later..
What about these ES CPU's that are floating around. Would they work? and I have "seen" some outrageous OCs submitted with them.

Yes but those are not supposed to be for sale, buyer beware.

I picked an ES up off ebay a while back, still running fine although at lower clocks than a full retail chip would be. For the big difference in pricing I'm not complaining. No OC on that Xeon though.

As long as IC will be the same then you can mix kits. Motherboard will use profiles of first memory module. All 3200 CL14 kits that I know are on the same IC. I was using 3000 CL14, 3200 CL15, 3200 CL14, 3600 CL16 TridentZ and some other brands mixed ( all were on good Samsung B IC ) on ASUS and ASRock X99 boards. My brother was using 3000 CL14 + 3600 CL16 kits on his X99 RVE mobo for couple of months.

If you want it for OC then stick to i7. Most ES Xeons are not overclocking and some don't have thermal protection. You can find unlocked ES Xeons but hard to say how they will OC.
As some others mentioned, ES is property of Intel, no matter who has it. All who get it for tests have to sign agreement docs so I have no idea how people can sell them. When I was getting ES chips then I had to return them within couple of weeks/months or I had to pay for them.

Back