• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory upgrade causing reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avesta

i upgraded my memory from 1GB to 2GB (exact same type of memory). everytime during the windows startup screen (when the mouse cursor starts to show), the computer reboots itself automatically. i was able to get into windows one time as it did not reboot itself, and I checked the memory and it says I had 2GB, so I know that i installed the ram correctly. any suggestions?

my system specs are:
amd64 fx-53
1gb (2x512mb) corsair pc3200xl memory, I added 2 more sticks of the EXACT same type memory
2 x 74gb raptors in raid 0
msi k8n neo2 platinum

i have currently 3 partitions and the pagefile is set like this:
C: (windows-smallpartition) - no pagefile
D: (games/programs-largepartition) - initial size of 1536 and max size of 3064
E: (random-smallpartition) no pagefile

here is the link to the motherboard manual which shows how to install memory modules:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2-F

im not quite sure what it means and what I have to do. my two initial ram sticks are silver colored and are the exact same type and speed as the new ones I bought for upgrading, which are black in color.
The two memory modules were initially in slots 1 and 2 I believe, and I added the 2 new modules to slots 3 and 4.

avesta said:
im not quite sure what it means and what I have to do.
It means that when you put the other two sticks in it gets unstable. What you have to do is figure out why. Try running just the two new sticks and see if you happen to have a faulty one. If it runs fine on the two new ones alone, it's a compatibility issue. 3200XL is (well, was) a Samsung TCCD module, and chances are very good you second set was made long after all the TCCD was gone. They have the same name, but that does not mean they are the same module. Your newer ones are probably (hopefully) TCC5, which is a similiar, but not identical, chip. As well, many different PCBs have been used on TCCx modules. If it proves that the second set is not faulty, contact Corsair and ask for their help. They mark this stuff up so radically they have little choice but to provide good customer support.

Using just the two new sticks, im able to log into windows and everything works fine, so its obvious that its a compatibility issue as you said.

I've checked on the actual memory module and the old one is v1.1, and the new one is v.1.2.
I've checked the memory specs in cpu-z and it shows that all 4 sticks have identical settings.

avesta said:
Using just the two new sticks, im able to log into windows and everything works fine, so its obvious that its a compatibility issue as you said.

I've checked on the actual memory module and the old one is v1.1, and the new one is v.1.2.
I've checked the memory specs in cpu-z and it shows that all 4 sticks have identical settings.
I would go the full route I proscribed and contact corsair, then. Hopefully they can tell you if it's a simple mis-match or if your system simply isn't likely to fullfill your expectations running 4 sticks.

larva said:
I would go the full route I proscribed and contact corsair, then. Hopefully they can tell you if it's a simple mis-match or if your system simply isn't likely to fullfill your expectations running 4 sticks.

thanks a lot for the help I will contact them during the week and I'll let you know what they say.

Back