• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory usage at idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bburrill2012

Windows task manager in the performance tab shows using 1.8gb of memory while idling. Is that a normal usage? What affects that and what can be done about it??

Running/background programs will take up memory. If you are worried about it, you can limit the number of startup programs by running "msconfig". You should be able to see what is taking up the memory through the Task Manager.

I'm not currently in Windows, but that usage sounds about right.

EDIT: My near-stock Windows 7 install that I use in a virtual machine is reporting 682mb of memory usage. This is on a fresh restart.

I only ask because after my fresh install with bf3 and drivers and updates and stuff.. it was at about .9gb at idle.

I did change the pagefile since then from no page file on both my ssd and hdd to 500 initial and 1000 max on my hdd. Could that have caused it?

in msconfig under startup tab it only has Realtek HD Audio and Microsoft Security Client. Or do i need to go to the services tab?

The pagefile size shouldn't affect it much, if at all. The usage sounds fine, though.

Or do i need to go to the services tab?
If you want to disable services, you can use that tab, yes. Be sure to check the box that hides the Microsoft services.

The only thing other than nvidia drivers is steam and adobe reader and futuremark. Ill just uncheck those tho im sure it wont do much

Back