• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 vs. Prime95, Against Mushkin lvl2 PC3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

If Memtest86 can run for 24 hours error free, but Prime95 crashes within 5 minutes, then the computer is unstable, right?

I know Prime95 is used to stress test memory settings, but could other factors contribute to the Prime95 errors (i.e., WinXP)?

I have 2x256MB sticks of Mushkin lvl2 PC3500. Stick#1 can go to 233Mhz(Prime95 stable)/240MHz(Memtest86 stable). Stick #2 can only get to 223MHz(Prime95 stable)/227MHz(Memtest86 stable). All at 2-2-2-11, Vdimm 2.9V. Together in dual channel they run as fast as the slowest stick.

I think I'm going to RMA the slower stick... it irks me that this one stick can only do 223, 6 over the 217 that it's rated. :(

Try memory timings @ 11- 3- 2- 2. You might also have to increase your Vcore for Prime stability at higher fsb.

JerMe said:

I think I'm going to RMA the slower stick... it irks me that this one stick can only do 223, 6 over the 217 that it's rated. :(

It's cr*p like this that give ocers a bad image! There is nothing wrong with that ram. On what grounds can you possibly come up with to rma it?

GD
badidea.gif

edit: * added

Last edited:
You know, I came to these forums because I found that everyone here was helpful and knowledgeable about what I wanted to learn more about – overclocking. What I didn't expect was one of the more frequent posters to come and basically start a flame war.

Was this your intent? Thanks for your input on my previous post, but I'd appreciate it if you'd just keep the flames to yourself.

Here's my reason for considering the RMA. These Mushkins have a huge reputation around here for overclocking well over 217 (you yourself have yours at 235 2-3-2-5), and if I can't go over 223 regardless of timings, you bet your *** that I'm going to think about an RMA. Grounds? I'm unhappy with the performance results. Does it still work? Yes. But off it'll go for an exchange nonetheless.

As for the "crap", I'm not requesting an exchange because I fried the stick. And who said overclockers had a bad image? Although I'm a newb when it comes to overclocking, at least I try to lend a helping hand to others around here.

it's supposed to do 433mhz 2-2, i would rma a under-performing stick as well. why buy the best if you're just going to settle for sub-par performance?

edit: haha derrrrr. what does rtfm mean?

Last edited:
I'm not starting a flame war. The point is it functions as specified. There are no guarantees in overclocking. It's acts of this nature that increase cost's and make future RMA's more difficult for all of us.

I would suggest that if it's passing memtest then the ram is probably not what is causing prime to fail.

I'm unhappy with the performance results.
How can you be unhappy that it performs as represented?

I try to lend a helping hand to others around here.
As opposed to setting an example.

I compare this to ordering your dinner at a restaurant and when finished wanting a refund because you weren't full. You got exactly what you paid for. Resell it, keep it, or throw it away for all I care. RMAing just isn't the right thing to do.

GD

it's supposed to do 433mhz

2x217=434... 2x223=446
RTFM.gif

I'm not starting a flame war.

I think your little emoticon there says it all. This thread is crap? RTFM? C'mon now.

I would suggest that if it's passing memtest then the ram is probably not what is causing prime to fail.

Thank you, but the responses from seadog and texasfit covered that already.

As opposed to setting an example.

When compared to flaming and custom loaded emoticons with negative connotation.

It's acts of this nature that increase cost's and make future RMA's more difficult for all of us.

As a consumer, if I'm unhappy with a product, I have a right to return or exchange it, as long as I work within the vendor's policy.

How can you be unhappy that it performs as represented?

Representation = Repuation, in my mind. I've seen what these sticks do, and I saw what my one stick didn't do.

crimedog: haha derrrrr. what does rtfm mean?

It means, "Read The ****ing Manual". Basically, Dan is flaming you because of a silly lookover.

In reality I'm contradicting myself by perpetuating this argument, but like the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Dan, you have an adequate amount of overclocking knowledge and I know I can learn a lot from your input. It's counter-productive to argue about ethics in a forum dedicated to overclocking. With the flames, that goes without saying. I'm aware of your position, as you are with mine. Why attack crimedog, though? I'm not sure. But whatever. Back to learning more about overclocking.

Im really not sure about why it would crash, but it seems like a CPU thing to me...
As for the whole "RMA" thing.
Im sorry to say that reputation or not, unless you have a deal with the salesman or something, then you have no right to rma it. You can, but if it seems logical that the guy refuses to exchange it and makes you pay both shippings...
The ram works as it's supposed to... sucks you got unlucky with the "overclockability" of the ram but that's just extra.
Ritalin

As far as I know, most vendors allow you to return anything within a time period. There is usually a restocking fee associated. I dont see the problem

BTW, They won't go higher because you need more voltage. You think mine go this high with 2.85?...not likely. It takes 3.2vdimm to get bh-5 to do this. RMA if you must but don't be surpised when things don't change much.
huh.png

In most cases I would have to agree that if something works as advertised, but not to someone's high expectations, there is no reason for an RMA. Practices like this jack up the prices for everyone. Having said that, I would have to agree with JerMe on this one. It seems Mushkin encourages this type of thing. From Mushkin Site Looks like they really want some satisfied customers. I'd hope so for the price you pay for LevelII. Nice work Mushkin!

Rezin777 said:
It seems Mushkin encourages this type of thing.

They don't encourage this type of thing though:

the better stick does 240MHz 2-2-2-11 @ 2.9V

From Mushkin:

The max allowable voltage for not causing damage AND maintaining your warranty is: 2.75V

Anything over 2.5V will theoretically decrease the life span of your module and any motherboard related parts as the components will produce more heat. There's also the specter of damaging your motherboard from overvoltaging™ but we do it all the time here for testing and haven't seen or heard of damage to a motherboard caused by increasing a motherboard's memory bus voltage, although we never go over 2.75V, but keep in mind that anything is possible. One possibility is a component that is near failure will be caused to fail earlier than it would have otherwise by raising the voltage it operates at, in that case it may look like raising the voltage damaged the motherboard but in actuality it was going to die soon anyway. Like scaring somebody with a serious heart problem What we're getting to here is that Mushkin takes no responsibility for any damage to your motherboard as a result of raising memory voltages of your motherboard.

Good point Dan, I did not notice that above 2.75vdimm voids their warranty. This brings up a question. The link I posted above says nothing about warranties or voltages. It basically says try our RAM, not happy within two weeks, send it on back. I think warranty refers to getting monies back for ruined or damaged sticks. I doubt they would accept a destroyed stick if someone tried to send one back in that two week timeframe. What I get out of all this is, if you overvolt the ram and do no damage, Mushkin will refund or replace, if you send it back within two weeks. After all, how would they know. Should you try to RMA memory that has been given voltages beyond what Mushkin covers in their warranty. No. I would like to know what Mushkin says about it. It almost seems like a loophole to their warranty.

.........when you ran memtest did you use the same slot for both sticks? Your mobo is known for having problems with memory slots......

.......I go with Grandpa Dan on this one. Most forums will not even allow talk of RMA'ing good products because they fail at overclocking. Just my 2 cents.........

After reading through all this thread I can't see anyone ever bringing up one very important thing (except the guy that posted the question to begin with):

The problems he's having with Prime95 are directly related to Windows.

If Memtest86 runs for 24 straight hours torturing the hell of that memory (and it does torture it far more than any Windows application could ever hope to) his memory is fine.

In DOS-mode (which Memtest86 running from it's bootable CD package) the entire PC becomes a memory torture machine. No CPU cycles are wasted on a pretty PlaySkool OS like XP, or surfing the web, and again, consider that Prime95 runs primarily during IDLE CPU TIME.

The answer is right there in your faces (and his, and he's the only one that understands that, apparently).

It's Windows.

br0adband

Back