• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Methods to removing caked on TIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never heard of any other mixture in isopropyl other than water for off-the-shelf product. The ability of isopropyl to recombine chemically with other blend agents could yield some interesting results. Makes my brain go to "Nope".

Thanks, good to know.

I thought someone around here mentioned they'll sometimes add a fragrance to it (don't know why) or some oils to it since some people will use it to clean wounds. But maybe I misunderstood.
Ive heard that for nail polish remover... that is why we generally say not to use it because of all the additives. By isopropyl alchohol, AFAIK, its just the alc and water or if there is any traces of oil, its VERY VERY little...

Ive heard that for nail polish remover... that is why we generally say not to use it because of all the additives. By isopropyl alchohol, AFAIK, its just the alc and water or if there is any traces of oil, its VERY VERY little...

It is just isopropyl alcohol and water, otherwise they would have to list other portions of chemical composition.

This is true of anything diluted with something other than pure water.

OK thanks, it must have been nail polish remover I was reading about then. Sorry for the thread jack.

Isopropyl alcohol dissolves a wide range of non-polar compounds. It also evaporates quickly, leaves nearly zero oil traces, compared to ethanol, and is relatively non-toxic, compared to alternative solvents. Thus, it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving oils. Together with ethanol, n-butanol, and methanol, it belongs to the group of alcohol solvents, about 6.4 million tonnes of which utilized worldwide in 2011.[10]
:shrug:

While that TIM is maleable, there is TIM out there that is super sticky and alcohol alone doesn't help take it off.

I'm talking about the TIM mostly used for northbridge heatsinks, RAM, GPUs, mosfets, etc. To remove that easily you have to remove it after it has warmed up if the PC was running recently or heat it up in an oven for a few minutes. Works every time.

You've copied some tech info and I suspect that it is referencing post-usage results, i.e., after using the alcohol as a solvent where an oily substance is being cleaned/removed, very little oil remains. That speaks to it's ability as a solvent. Multiple applications that further remove remaining oily substances become more and more effective due to dilution of the substrate, or oily gunk being cleaned up. It's like the old conundrum of cutting a stick in half for all eternity, never quite getting rid of the stick.

Rubbing alcohols can and do have oils in them, menthol and eucalyptus usually. Fragrances too.
Isopropyl alcohols are usually diluted with water.
You just have to read the label...

I have a 5 gallon bladder/box of 99.5% for lab use, so I guess I'm all set for the good stuff. I'll use that or acetone (which works fast on the greasy or waxy TIM's).

I have found that good beer works best when cleaning off tim. It also helps with cleaning other things around the house.

you could probably pick up acetone at the hardware store, that stuff is pretty pure and cleans through most anything

Scrape with something soft, like plastic or fingernail.

Dissolve with alcohol (any kind), but if that doesn't work, try waterless hand cleaner gel (Goop and GoJo are two brands) or something oily, like kerosene, WD-40, or oil.

Do not use chemicals that are good at dissolving plastics, like acetone or lacquer thinner. I wouldn't even try brake parts cleaner.

Back