• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Mission Complete!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
.: SPOILER ~ SPOILER ~ SPOILER:.
Here there be spoilers ahead! Avast!

I beat Metroid Prime 3 just half an hour ago. Honestly, the game was absolutely epic, and I don't think there will be any FPA game that will top it for a long time on the Wii (which makes Oni a very sad panda).

My clear time was 16 hours and 17 minutes, with 72% completion. I think I was missing like, 28 pickups (Missile Expansions, Ship Expansions, and Energy Tanks, I would imagine). Clearly, this just won't do, so I'm going to start again. I may go through again on just normal mode and get 100% before I move on to Veteran and then Hyper Mode (Hyper Mode was unlocked by completing the game). I think I'll grab a notebook or something, and if I see something I know I'm going to be able to get later, I'll jot it down real quick so I'll remember it later :)

Graphics and control? They've been covered to death everywhere you look. We know it looks great, we know it handles great, so I'ma skip that for now.

One thing that kinda bothered me was item utilization. While having the Screw Attack and things like that were necessary, they were painfully under utilized! Things like the Boost Ball, Spider Ball, and the various hypermode weapons that the Varia Suit could utilize were almost painfully overlooked. The Hyper Grapple was only used a handful of times, as was the Grapple Voltage (only a few times on the pirate homeworld, and only a few times on other planets). Keep in mind that these are my own little niggles, and they are minor in the grand scheme of things.

The story of the game is actually quite excellent, and I really like the way that Retro closed it out. I was very impressed. The game is definitely an immersing experience. Any game where you actually care about what is happening to not only your character, but other characters they are associated with is pretty good, in my opinion. From knowing that Ghor is out there, somewhere, ready to pound you into little bits, to Rundas wanting to smash you into 10,000 splintery, icy pieces, right down to the pure evil that is Dark Samus and yes, The Motherbrain (Aurora Unit 313, which might actually make it the Fatherbrain, 'cause Unit 313 spoke in a male voice). These are characters that you once interacted with on a competitive yet friendly basis, and now they want to smash you into oblivion. A lot of it is the atmosphere of what these characters have become, too. While walking around on SkyTown, all of the projectors show Ghor looking quite ****ed off. Eventually, you come to the Spire and his armour suit. It's been recently used, but he's nowhere to be found. Later you come back and the suit is gone. You start thinkin' he's up to something, so you're always watching your back, and scanning anything that looks fishy.

It's also the little things that really make this game seem all the more awesome. Take for instance, the visor. When you switch to your scan visor, you can actually see Samus' face reflected back. The eyes track where you're looking, and she blinks, too. As her corruption progresses, you start seeing subtle changes. her eyes take on an odd glow from the iris, and lines start to appear on her once smooth face. Likewise, on the x-ray visor, when you move your cannon in front of it, you can see your arm on the inside, wrapped around the trigger. You can also see the weak points on your enemies, and if you have the Nova Beam, you can snipe them! One shot kills FTW! There are also lots of other little subtle things that can happen. Like once you get the Nova Beam, when you kill a space pirate with a charged blast, they burn! They burn green and scream as they die. The bast**ds! I did that as much as I could! Die, pirates! Die!

Speaking of dying, I actually did that more than a few times, I'm ashamed to admit. Weather I was doing something stupid (I wonder where this bottomless pit goes . . . ) to just plain not paying attention (Yeah, take that, you ****! Uhoh, gotta start shooting before I get 100% corrupt . . . aw, crap!) I died more than a few times. The game is pretty good about it, though. If you continue, it will start you off relatively close to where you croaked, so you don't have to slog back from your last save point. Also, if you let the Game Over screen sit for awhile, a red spot starts to grow, like blood soaking into fabric. A nice touch.

The bosses are pretty epic. Large and intimidating, it's up to you to scan and find out where their weak points are, and then exploit those weaknesses. If a boss changes his pattern or his physiology, scan him again. Odds are he's changed his weak point, too. The game will give you a relatively detailed analysis of the situation when you scan a boss, so make sure you do. Once you know the weak point, however, beating the boss is still a chore (but a fun chore, like counting money or making babies). You've gotta balance your attacking and healing, and quite possibly on more than a few bosses, the amount of Phazon you're utilizing. Some bosses can only be killed with Phazon-based attacks, which can make some battles more than a bit challenging. That being said, I found that in the later stages of the game, the bosses got rather easy. Omega Ridley went down like a house of cards. The first form of Dark Samus, too. Maybe I'm just too freaking good. :shrug:

I feel like I missed so much in this game! Like I stated at the top, I only got 72%. I know there are more than a few things I missed, so I'm going to do my best to get them this time around. The hard part is friggin' remembering where everything is!

This game is definitely a keeper. If you have a Wii, get this game. If you don't have a Wii and have been thinking about it, this should get you moving to your nearest electronics store to purchase one. Yes, it is that good. Yet another reason to own a Wii :)

Sweet game, control is unparalleled, almost like the Wii-mote was designed for the Metroid Prime experience. I wish they'd re-release the previous two Prime games using this system :)

Glad to hear about the epic goodness of the story, i JUST got it last weekend, and just got finished with he first boss.

~ Gos

I really really want a WII for this and zelda.... but I also want an 8800GTX because I want bioshock and crysis more...

Oh well. good to know it lived up to its hype.

I remember playing the first Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, it's still one of the best games ever made. If you haven't played it, go buy a Gamecube, they hardly cost hardly anything these days, it is an epic experience.

Going to get a Wii as soon as the cheque book allows, just for this game. :)

Just fired the game up again tonight, and I've just acquired the PED suit. I'm doing it on Normal again, 'cause I want to get 100% this time around. Next time through, I'll do Veteran, and then Hyper mode.

Awesome man. I'm still playing Resident Evil 4 lol. But MP3 is definitely next on the list =)

I have 80 pickups now out of a possible 100. I've unlocked the special ending (the one you get at 75 pickups) and I'm just about to head to the Pirate Homeworld to really put a dent in it. I needed the Grapple Voltage to get more than a few items I missed, and I had to head back to Elysia so I could get the locations of all the pickups. I'm missing a few scans for GFS stuff (some of them are on the Valhalla, which I have not done yet. I want to get all the cells first so I only have to do it once. I'm only short two cells, one of which is on the Valhalla itself), I'm missing two scans on the Pirate Homeworld, and I think I'm missing about 5 Space Pirate Creature scans. I plan on solving that ASAP. I'm also missing a bunch of creature scans on Phaaze, but I'm not ready to head there yet.

Oh! I found another friend voucher! The lizard guys who throw the electrified discs at you. shoot them a couple times, then wait until they throw the disc, and hit them with a freeze missile. The disc will come back and shatter them. The Voucher that comes up is called 'Icy Reptilicide'. Wicked!

Sounds like a great game i am planning on getting a Wii soon with the sports pack i think the whole family will have a blast with it but this game i think i will keep just for me.

Oh man! I've only got 7 more pickups to go! I've got all of my energy tanks and 235 missiles. I'm missing two pieces of Lore on the Pirate Homeworld, and I've missed quite a few creatures, too :(

But from what I understand, it registers your percentage via the amount of pickups you get. So getting 100% is still possible.

Aww, yeah. The sweet, sweet taste of 100% completion! I scored me an extra-awesome cinematic at the end. I snapped a few screenies which I'll be happy to send anybody to see (I can't offload them from my Wii. Laym). They show Samus resting in Skytown without her helmet on, and shortly before she re-enters her ship, she removes the Varia suit, leaving her wearing only the Zero suit. It's a slice of alright pie with a big scoop of vanilla win on top.

just picked it up in germany, some hours ago (live in denmark)

and the game is just awesome

and oni, i wont read your post for fear of you revealing the end of the game, lol

Back