• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft - Believe it or Not - Outstanding Customer Service Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

We are selling a laptop and I needed to do a clean install so there was no chance of any of our personnal information remaining on it. See the following recent thread for more details:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716060

Briefly, I purcahsed a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade three pack in April, 2011. I used only one of the three available installs on the subject laptop at that time. Since the three pack came with only a single product key, I did not want to use up a second install, reinstalling it on the exact same piece of hardware.

I ran the install using the distribution disc and intentionally ran it as a clean install so it overwrote the HDD. This erased the existing W7 install so the upgrade no longer was able to recognize that a valid OS already existed. When it came time to enter the product key, it told me the product key was not valid. To my surprise it did not remember it just overwrote the HDD and therefore it no longer considered this an "upgrade".

With relative ease I found a Microsoft telephone number to call for activation issues. There was almost no wait time for a tech to answer. I am almost certain it was a dreaded and so very hated offshore (Asia) support center that answered. However, the girl, albeit with a slight accent, not only spoke fluent English, she was able to very effectively fluently communicate in English. She immediately understood the problem I was having and very effeciently and effectively took me through a series of steps to revalidate the product code. She obviously knew exactly what she was doing. I also did not hear a single of the typical endless streams of silly and disingenuous apologies for having a problem etc. that I typically have to listen to from offshore support centers.

She explained that I might have a probelm in the future with a third install as the system now thinks I did two installs. However, she said my account was noted and I would have no problem if I just called in on the same number. Based on how she handled herself up to that point, I believe what she said will prove to be accurate.

I had a problem on a Sunday afternoon and Microsoft provided readily available effeicient and competent support to resolve it. I am impressed.

I never had to call Microsoft, only for the standard activation procedures (the automatic ones where you dial a big number and they give you another big number to activate your license) but, wow, seems they know what they're speaking about.

Yep... thats pretty normal for that experience. Its a no brainer. other issues though, who knows.

I am actually surprised with this, I have had to call M# several times over that last few years with activation problems and have always waited hours and could never understand the person on the phone. I have consistently rated them as one of the worst companies I have ever had to work with. :bang head:mad::bang head:mad:

I am glad that you had a good experience though. :)

We are selling a laptop and I needed to do a clean install so there was no chance of any of our personnal information remaining on it. See the following recent thread for more details:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716060

Briefly, I purcahsed a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade three pack in April, 2011. I used only one of the three available installs on the subject laptop at that time. Since the three pack came with only a single product key, I did not want to use up a second install, reinstalling it on the exact same piece of hardware.

I ran the install using the distribution disc and intentionally ran it as a clean install so it overwrote the HDD. This erased the existing W7 install so the upgrade no longer was able to recognize that a valid OS already existed. When it came time to enter the product key, it told me the product key was not valid. To my surprise it did not remember it just overwrote the HDD and therefore it no longer considered this an "upgrade".

With relative ease I found a Microsoft telephone number to call for activation issues. There was almost no wait time for a tech to answer. I am almost certain it was a dreaded and so very hated offshore (Asia) support center that answered. However, the girl, albeit with a slight accent, not only spoke fluent English, she was able to very effectively fluently communicate in English. She immediately understood the problem I was having and very effeciently and effectively took me through a series of steps to revalidate the product code. She obviously knew exactly what she was doing. I also did not hear a single of the typical endless streams of silly and disingenuous apologies for having a problem etc. that I typically have to listen to from offshore support centers.

She explained that I might have a probelm in the future with a third install as the system now thinks I did two installs. However, she said my account was noted and I would have no problem if I just called in on the same number. Based on how she handled herself up to that point, I believe what she said will prove to be accurate.

I had a problem on a Sunday afternoon and Microsoft provided readily available effeicient and competent support to resolve it. I am impressed.

Cool, they support their DRM. But they charge you for anything else.

Go Microsoft!

Back