• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft changes it's mind on Vista transfers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schnikies79

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6131900.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn

REDMOND, Wash.--Reversing a licensing change announced two weeks ago, Microsoft said on Thursday that it will not limit the number of times that retail customers can transfer their Windows Vista license to a different computer.

Excellent news! Assuming they don't change their mind again!

EDIT: From the offical Vista blog

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...-to-windows-vista-retail-licensing-terms.aspx

Last edited:
yea the drm sucks pretty bad but at least one stumbling block is out of the way.

This is good news for us all. My initial thoughts were to think that everybody need to stop crying over this and wait until release to see what happens. As it turns out, all the crying is what caused M$ to alter the license! So much for my theory. Goon news nonetheless.

This is still one of those things I will not believe until I see it for real, on the official release. Forgive me, but I'm skeptical when I comes to some things MS does. :)

I am glad. I like to experiment with different things and I upgrade a lot, so reinstalling is almost a monthly or bi-monthly habit for me. (although lately I have just been using images).

good to see MS developed some sense.

After seeing this and rading it carefully I see it says 'RETAIL customers can transfer...' How many of us bought retail boxed copies of XP? Not me that's for sure, I bought an OEM copy with my motherboard and CPU ages ago. I hope this goes for licenses obtained in that manner as well.

MadMan007 said:
After seeing this and rading it carefully I see it says 'RETAIL customers can transfer...' How many of us bought retail boxed copies of XP? Not me that's for sure, I bought an OEM copy with my motherboard and CPU ages ago. I hope this goes for licenses obtained in that manner as well.

OEM microsoft operating systems have always belonged to the box that they were installed on/purchased with (if I understand the rules correctly).

MadMan007 said:
OEM is cheaper because it's made for a single box, like a dell or otehr brand name. If you want to reinstall but the retail version as it is made (or at least as it seems now) for people who build/upgrade thier computer.

please.

you still sell your great grandchildren in any software licence like that.
i mean come on,

ill wager they can "change the whole gameplan at any time as they see fit when you click "i accept"..." or whatever, right?

its just PR.
i dont believe it for a second.

AND according to slashdot it comes from a microsoft BLOG.
any company blog is PR. i mean, come on.

NOT to mention i heard about a law proposed about making blogs considered advertising somewhere not too many days ago.

first off, has anybody actually had a copy of vista with that licence?
is it on shelves and can anybody buy it?

secondly - what happens in - June of 06 when (if) microsoft quietly edits the licence?
what if hardware changes are the last thing on anybody mind to scream about because it all just got so bad suddenly?

its simply buisness politics/propaganda.
they are just acting to quash negativity before the launch date to sell more product .

all this "gee thanks microsoft" stuff is making me sick. and ive seen plenty of it all over the internet before i came here to look into the story.

believe what you want, but i think that enthusiasts going from livid to loving is exactly what the company wants, and is exactly what the company is NOW getting.

i wont be a tool like that.
i wont participate in a company's PR machine just because of something someone said on a blog.
and i sure as hell would have to see it to believe it and not take PR's word for it and tell all my friends. and hype and exagerate how much i love microsoft+vista because of something that to date does not exist!

this is in reality not as big of an issue as it is becoming.
microsoft simply changed a few words and now gets tonns of positive instead of negative publicity.

its not a sign of friendlyness, but perhaps a sign of desperation...
i have said it before and its based from one of ed's articles.
personal computing is in its sunset.

they are getting while the getting is good.
one sign of that is the big battle for dollars is becoming the whole web 2.0 thing.
but for all of us, microsoft included, the riddle of the sphinx rules, kool aid, or not.

Well I am quite glad to see this; I would not have purchased Vista otherwise. I thought that they would revise the EULA terms as I could not see why anyone would rent/lease Vista. Personally, if it wasn't for DX10 I would probably never purchase Vista...I am still on win2k. At least now, in 1-2 years (the time it takes me to go through a few significant hardware changes) hopefully M$ won't be demanding another wad of cash from me so that I may continue utilizing something that I had already purchased.

orionlion82 said:
please.

you still sell your great grandchildren in any software licence like that.
i mean come on,

ill wager they can "change the whole gameplan at any time as they see fit when you click "i accept"..." or whatever, right?

its just PR.
i dont believe it for a second.

AND according to slashdot it comes from a microsoft BLOG.
any company blog is PR. i mean, come on.

NOT to mention i heard about a law proposed about making blogs considered advertising somewhere not too many days ago.

first off, has anybody actually had a copy of vista with that licence?
is it on shelves and can anybody buy it?

secondly - what happens in - June of 06 when (if) microsoft quietly edits the licence?
what if hardware changes are the last thing on anybody mind to scream about because it all just got so bad suddenly?

its simply buisness politics/propaganda.
they are just acting to quash negativity before the launch date to sell more product .

all this "gee thanks microsoft" stuff is making me sick. and ive seen plenty of it all over the internet before i came here to look into the story.

believe what you want, but i think that enthusiasts going from livid to loving is exactly what the company wants, and is exactly what the company is NOW getting.

i wont be a tool like that.
i wont participate in a company's PR machine just because of something someone said on a blog.
and i sure as hell would have to see it to believe it and not take PR's word for it and tell all my friends. and hype and exagerate how much i love microsoft+vista because of something that to date does not exist!

this is in reality not as big of an issue as it is becoming.
microsoft simply changed a few words and now gets tonns of positive instead of negative publicity.

its not a sign of friendlyness, but perhaps a sign of desperation...
i have said it before and its based from one of ed's articles.
personal computing is in its sunset.

they are getting while the getting is good.
one sign of that is the big battle for dollars is becoming the whole web 2.0 thing.
but for all of us, microsoft included, the riddle of the sphinx rules, kool aid, or not.

ummm, alrightythen..

I agree with orionlion82, no need to get all excited yet until we see the final release, store shelf release. Even if they hold true to this, there is still the DRM crap we need to get past.

As for me like stated before, I will not purchase Vista until I am pretty much forced to. I still continue my Boycott of Vista, DRM...blah...I hate the sounds of it.

MadMan007 said:

Nope, not gonna happen. If you were to read the EULA in an OEM copy of XP this has always been the case. OEM means tied to the first system installed on.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
Nope, not gonna happen. If you were to read the EULA in an OEM copy of XP this has always been the case. OEM means tied to the first system installed on.

Exactly.

There was a gray area for a while but Microsoft then clarified that OEM (for xp) is tied to the motherboard. You were/are allowed to change the motherboard to an exact replacement if it dies, but otherwise your license is no good.

cornbread said:
I agree with orionlion82, no need to get all excited yet until we see the final release, store shelf release. Even if they hold true to this, there is still the DRM crap we need to get past.

As for me like stated before, I will not purchase Vista until I am pretty much forced to. I still continue my Boycott of Vista, DRM...blah...I hate the sounds of it.

The DRM crap is easy to get past. A quick recap....

The dreaded DRM in Vista is called HDCP. Basically it only affects HIGH DEF VIDEO(such as HDDVD, BluRay, and HDWMV). If you try to play one of these sources and you don't have both an HDCP compatible monitor and video card, then it will only play in roughly DVD quality. That's right...It still plays,just not in full resolution. Don't ***** to Microsoft about this. This is something they have been forced to by the consortiums behind HDDVD and BluRay. The only time this should be a major gripe to anyone is if they plan on using the system as a media center, in which case hopefully you will be using an HDCP compatible TV and a decent HDCP video card. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY SPECIAL HARDWARE JUST TO RUN THE OS. This only applies to DRM'ed sources as well. If you have a non DRM'ed source then it will play just fine.

Back