• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft changes it's mind on Vista transfers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Deadbot1_1973 said:
This is something they have been forced to by the consortiums behind HDDVD and BluRay. The only time this should be a major gripe to anyone is if they plan on using the system as a media center, in which case hopefully you will be using an HDCP compatible TV and a decent HDCP video card. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY SPECIAL HARDWARE JUST TO RUN THE OS. This only applies to DRM'ed sources as well. If you have a non DRM'ed source then it will play just fine.

MS being "forced" to do this, that is a good one.

And I assume a lot of people will be using it for media centers, considering blu-ray and hd-dvd are already here and we do have a media center version of Windows XP Media Edition.

Nothing like buying a new format dvd like blu-ray or hd-dvd then being told you can only play it at the old dvd format. What's the purpose of having future technology if you CAN"T USE IT the way it was intended?

For example...

It's like buying a new car from the dealer, then the dealer says wait, you can only drive this at 30mph, although the speed limit is 55.

Last edited:
SeasonalEclipse said:
See what we can get done by whining?.. I say we up the whining on MAC prices and se what we can get done!

A wise person once said "If you can't add anything useful, don't say anything" or something along those lines. I'm not that wise enough to remember the exact phrase ;).

DRM thing while yes its more so an issue for consumers, hey look I got a 24" dell thats not HDCP compliant, its a secondary issue that there will be times probably it won't be limited but eventually it will be. Do we even know if its happening right away on release of Vista? I'm curious about that, will it be in effect this year, or maybe a few months/years down the road when basically TV's will need to be compliant. I doubt these computer manufactures will be supplying HDCP compliant monitors right away.

cornbread said:
MS being "forced" to do this, that is a good one.

And I assume a lot of people will be using it for media centers, considering blu-ray and hd-dvd are already here and we do have a media center version of Windows XP Media Edition.

Nothing like buying a new format dvd like blu-ray or hd-dvd then being told you can only play it at the old dvd format. What's the purpose of having future technology if you CAN"T USE IT the way it was intended?

For example...

It's like buying a new car from the dealer, then the dealer says wait, you can only drive this at 30mph, although the speed limit is 55.

It's no different than, say, having to buy a new tv and HD player to play it at home. You already have to do that, because that IS how it was intended. HDCP has always been a part of the HDDVD standard and has become a part of the BluRay standard. You don't think that MS was forced to put this in to get the ability to even support those standards? You need to do some research and reading. I've been reading all I can about the standards and the forces behind them. MS probably didn't mind being forced into it, because they will adjust it to fit in with their DRM tech in WMV-HD and WMA. To say that MS is forcing you to buy new hardware is incorrect and unfair. The real culprits behind it are the consortiums behind HDDVD and BluRay. They were the ones who made the rules surrounding HDCP.

This is looking better. :) This activation crap was one of my biggest hurdles in jumping to Vista. I still don't want to, but there will come a time.....

From another site http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4802
“You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.”
This makes me very pleased.I will most likely dual boot Vista and XP though depending on how Vista will run, come release.

Back