• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft not bothering to fix Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I fix Vista by telling relatives who have underpowered computers to run XP, 2K, or Linux.

Second that.

The odd thing is, when most people think of system specs, cpu speed comes first, but it's probably the least important system spec. You can fudge on cpu requirments if it will be a light duty machine, but if you don't meet the ram spec...

I've run XP on a Pentium II that I had clocked at 133 (2x66) just to see how it ran. It was...usable. It didn't meet cpu specs though...That system had plenty of ram, and a fast hard drive.

I haven't tried vista on a low cpu system, but I can clock my current e2160 at 6x133, I may try that sometime if I'm uberbored.

Agreed. I just picked up a Dell Mini 9 (Intel Atom single core 1.6 ghz... not that powerful), but I'm ignoring the Dell upgrade options and throwing in 2gb of ram. (2GB ddr2 right now is about $25-30.) People really underestimate the importance of ram in system speed. That system doesn't even ship with Vista... Dell will only sell it with Ubuntu (which I got) or XP (costs extra). A few people have installed Vista on it anyways, and it will install, but it crawls... even with the extra ram.

The market (new computers) is mostly ready for Vista now in terms of power, outside of netbooks or some very low end cheapo computers. It wasn't ready a few years ago though when Vista was released, which is why it got such a bad rap (and the poor driver support, especially from nvidia). People with older computers though should not be encouraged to upgrade to Vista. They won't enjoy it.

2K has a minimum spec of 133 mhz P1 and 32mb of ram. LOL. It runs like crap with that. Sure it will start, but you're talking painful. It runs badly, but usably, on a 500 mhz P2/P3, but not for web surfing or media. In other words, minimum system requirements for Windows OS's are always understated. Just like many Linux distros say they'll run on a 386sx-16. The will start... and are instruction set compatible... but completely unusable. Not to mention the pain of configuring the ISA peripherals from 1988...

Microsoft is trying to put Vista behind them and get everyone to Windows 7. 7 is really just a facelift... i.e. it's more of a service pack to Vista than it is a new OS, but they want a new name for it because of all the bad press Vista has gotten.

First was that Mohave nickname nonsense, then the Seinfeld flop, then Microsoft is going to stick it's head in the sand & pretend the six to ten billion dollars spent to develop Vista was Monopoly play money. Can't wait to see what they do next. :D

I was going to give Vista Ultimate one more try on my new main rig, but now I might just wait for Windows 7 (I'll only give that a try if they have another Poweredge type of giveaway like how I got Vista Business and Ultimate for free. If I have to pay for Windows 7, I'm sticking with XP for the foreseeable future :-/

Attachments

• vista-vs-xp.jpg
    vista-vs-xp.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 164
OK I was building a new htpc and people were telling me to get Vista 64-bit. Should I just stick with XP and use 3rd party software for my media duties and wait for Windows 7 or should I go ahead and get Vista 64-bit. Will be running a e6850, 4 gig ram, Radeon 4830..

Well when I bought Vista I figured it was 'new and pretty' + XP's goodness. Woops.

All was fine after SP1, but the first few months were annoying. (3rd party driver related).

Vista's image isn't worth fixing, smart move by going to Windows 7.

But dumb move to charge all those Vista using suckers $100+ to upgrade.

Vista's image isn't worth fixing, smart move by going to Windows 7.
Sure Windows 7 won't be more of the same? Like a Vista 2.0?

The last superflop was windows ME, and it stank with such a stanky stank, that the entire dos-based win9x line was discontinued.

How close is windows 7? For so long as I can get by on 3.25GB ram, I may hold out for it. I'd hate for vista SP2 to be good enough to make me spend money, only for 7 to come out 6 months later. I've held off this long, I'm starting to think the money smart thing to do is to try and hold out long enough to skip an OS generation, and save a little $

I like Vista 64. It does what I need it to do. It integrates with my xBox and Zune. It runs the software I use to develop applications.

I've held off this long, I'm starting to think the money smart thing to do is to try and hold out long enough to skip an OS generation, and save a little $

I think that's generally true. I can tell you that I'm using 2K still, and only in the last year or so has it been an issue. Right now, many commercial apps (MS Office 2k7, Adobe CS4, Itunes, etc.) do not support 2K. Everything still supports XP. 2K is becoming less and less useful by the day now, but even a year ago there were hardly any issues with it.

MRD, MS has an application that you can use to trick programs to run under other OS's, i have had to use it many times to install Adobe CS3 suite under server 2003 at work.

Oh nice!!! Please share, where can I find this? What's it called?

I've long imgined I could get a lot of programs that nominally require XP to run under 2K as the underlying architecture is so close (drivers even work between them often). I just never knew how to do this.

OK I was building a new htpc and people were telling me to get Vista 64-bit. Should I just stick with XP and use 3rd party software for my media duties and wait for Windows 7 or should I go ahead and get Vista 64-bit. Will be running a e6850, 4 gig ram, Radeon 4830..

IMO, Nobody can tell you what's best, some people like Vista, others don't. I tried Vista off and on since it was released. Wasn't all that fond of having to re-buy 3rd party apps or new hardware that I already paid for that worked perfectly fine with XP, programs such as Diskeeper Pro for Vista. Cost me $100 just for just that. There was plenty of other programs I had to buy or upgrade to use with Vista which was a bit annoying. Then only to go back to XP every time I gave Vista another shot. So I pretty much threw a few hundred dollars down the kamode.

In the end, Vista just didn't deliver to justify the hardware and software purchases I had to make to run Vista properly. I'm not even going to mention the DRM hell issues I had with Vista. Luckily I didn't have to pay one red cent to get Vista. That's the only good thing I can say about mohave Vista. But like I said, to each their own. You might not have many issues with Vista and you may like it, so you need to decide if you want to run Vista or wait till Windows 7 heads our way.

(PS, I try to never run new Microsoft OS programs from the onset, I wait a little bit to see how it's treating other people, if it looks decent and there aren't many problems, I give it a shot. This is what I'll be doing when Windows 7 is released, even if I get it for free during a promotion or what not)

I've long imgined I could get a lot of programs that nominally require XP to run under 2K as the underlying architecture is so close (drivers even work between them often). I just never knew how to do this.

I dunno about the official MS tool, but you might wanna try KDW/FCWIN2k (MSFN forum link). Bit of a learning curve, but it works a treat.

Well anyone who buy the performance side know the price to space ratio is not good, in general disk space pretty cheap. considering you can get almost 10x the space for the money (based on my quick newegg search) with a 150 raptor and more compared with SSD. That's the price you pay for wanting the best.

I realize I'm paying a premium for faster storage, but cheap drive space for the masses doesn't give software developers carte blanche to write all the sloppy code they desire.

As a programmer, I know how much time is spent on code optimization. Microsoft has taken a wrong turn somewhere on this issue. Their recent OS's like XP and Vista have been OK when it comes to volatile memory and CPU utilization, but their use of persistent storage is not where it needs to be. XP is not that bad, but one can't say the same for Vista.

There's absolutely no reason for MS to include literally gigabytes of useless drivers within every Vista installation. Likewise, it is beyond wasteful to tie up additional gigabytes of storage with foreign language files for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. for an English-US install. These should either be options during installation, or left on the DVD with the user being prompted for the disc when/if necessary. Another complete waste of storage is the full 15% of your install partition that is dedicated to shadow storage - used to make backup copies of the registry and other Vista files. That's a flat 15%, regardless of how large or small the partition is. :bang head

This is why Vista has rightfully earned the reputation as bloatware. It was recklessly coded in terms of how resources are utilized. For a company like MS, that's scandalous, shameful work. Rather than write tight code that gets the most out of every byte of ram, they relied on cheap memory to get people by. Rather than write tight code that gets the most out of every CPU cycle, they relied on Intel and Moore's law to bail them out. Rather than intelligently select files for installation to the hard drive, MS relied on cheap large drives to eat up their bloated footprint. They need to do much better.

I fix Vista by telling relatives who have underpowered computers to run XP, 2K, or Linux.

You cannot make an underpowered system perform well with Vista (anymore than a 486 can run XP). Software has requirements, and Vista's are a lot higher than 2K/XP or Linux.

So very true. Vista only runs well on mid to high level newer hardware. And the sad part is the official specs from MS understate the requirements. I've been in the computer scene for a while now, and I've never seen such a huge gap between OS generations as between XP and Vista, in terms of their requirements. Then again, I've never seen MS release something as bloated as Vista is.

I have to say, though, Vista does run well on sufficiently powered machines. XP will run far better on slow hardware, but on fast hardware XP really has no edge at all.

I agree that the edge quickly evaporates as the hardware becomes more powerful. It's less of an issue today because of the increases in hardware power over the last two years.

I can see why MS installs everything under the sun by default. Hard drives being sold today are simply enormous, and even a bloated OS takes a fraction of their available space. A terabyte is unde $100, and unless you store lots and lots and LOTS of media, you'll NEVER fill it. Many people I know never exceed 20GB total disk use.

Back